Retaking the SSATS

Hello There!

I received my SSAT score about a month ago and here were my results:
95th Percentile Overall with…
Reading: 85th
Verbal: 93rd
Quantitative: 99th

Although I’m satisfied with it and it’s over 95, my problem is that I’m an INTERNATIONAL applicant who has no TOEFL and is requesting for Financial Aid. Furthermore, most of my peers have scores higher than me (over 95) and are retaking to ace their reading (over 90).

Should I take it again (in 2 weeks) or just submit it as it is?

Thank You for the help

In your case, I don’t think retaking would help. SSAT is one of the parameters that they use to assess academic readiness for rigorous schools and you have demonstrated that. Focus on your academics and other aspects of your application ie ECs and essays to stand out amongst applicants from your region.

2 Likes

Does an 85th (80th verbal, 70 reading and 89th quantitative) does that too?
I’m also international.

1 Like

On an Exeter admissions call, they mentioned 85% being their average SSAT score. 85% and above I think you are in good shape.

1 Like

Don’t waste your time. It’s a great score.

1 Like

If you’re applying to very competitive schools and you’re an international student, better get that reading score up. Most schools superscore so you’ve got nothing to lose.

2 Likes

They may have nothing to lose, but IMO they have literally nothing to gain. If they are not accepted it will not be because they scored a 95th and not a 96/97/98 or 99th percentile.

OP I’d put your time to better, more productive uses. Work on your essays, lean into ECs, etc.

3 Likes

I get that, but as an international student, every school will be concerned with the reading, especially with no TOEFL score. Since most schools superscore, and the OP wants a super strong score, spending a few hours brushing up on the verbal and retaking it would not hurt IMO. Leave no stone unturned… but @DroidsLookingFor makes a good point… take what you’ve got and move on.
Why not take the test the BS wants… TOEFL from international students? Wouldn’t that solve your problem?

1 Like