Ring Day - Do Parents Participate?

<p>Are there many parents at Ring Day? It's on a weekday and it seems like a lot of trouble to watch someone hand a ring to my son. I really don't get the big deal about this. But, I don't want my son to feel bad if most parents show up.</p>

<p>The Aggie ring itself is a very big deal at A&M. The pomp and circumstance around it, like many events in our kids’ lives, has grown over the years. They do ring dunk, take their picture under the giant Aggie ring at the Former Student center, and go celebrate afterwards. As far as parents, it’s probably a bigger deal for multiple generation Aggies.</p>

<p>When I got my Aggie ring, lo these many years ago now (1985), I remember just going to a building, walking up to the table, claiming my ring box, putting it on my finger all by myself, and going on about my day. There was no Former Student Center or Giant Ring when I was there.</p>

<p>My son is getting his ring this Friday. I am three states away and I’m not flying out for it. I asked him to send me pictures of it on his hand. If I lived within a reasonable driving distance, I would probably go. But I don’t feel bad about missing it. I’m much more interested in being there for graduation in May.</p>

<p>Just my 2 cents worth.</p>

<p>Thank gxgal7! I’m very reasonable driving distance, but I’m not very comfortable with all the Aggie hoopla. My husband will be out of town and I am low on vacation days, so I am not planning to go. </p>

<p>I did google it last night and there is a “free” (we did pay $1200 for the %!* ring) picture offered by a professional photographer so I am hoping to get a copy of that. My only other Aggie parent friend is a diehard Aggie and she’s planning a gigantic celebration for her daughter getting her ring. I had a feeling that wasn’t the “norm” but just wanted to check. </p>

<p>I wish my son was graduating in May!!! He’s only a junior :-(. I will definitely be there for that day.</p>

<p>My husband and I are both '82 grads and we have a picture of us at the Ring Dance under the giant ring. Our parents were nowhere in sight and both dads were former students. My S received his ring and they did the whole ring dunk thing but parents were not present. It didn’t matter if the parents were former students or not.</p>

<p>thanks wemel! </p>

<p>I know I’m old-fashioned, but I don’t think the school should push something that involves downing alcohol, especially, since many kids qualify to get their rings before they are 21.</p>

<p>^ For what it’s worth, I will be turning 21 the same week that I get my ring in November, and I will not be dunking my ring regardless. The school says it is tradition and what not, but at the end of the day it is a student’s decision whether they are comfortable around alcohol in that way. I personally have a string of tough exams over those first two weeks in November so I simply can’t afford to lose 2 days for celebration.</p>

<p>Ring dunk isn’t necessary, and there are plenty who don’t take part. The school certainly doesn’t “push” students to dunk their rings, heck, they don’t even mention it. </p>

<p>As for parents taking part in Ring Day, many do. You’ll see parents and family all over. It’s a big deal for A&M students, especially for families with multiple generations of Aggies, so having a “gigantic celebration” is rather common. Make what you want of the ceremony/celebration and don’t let the actions of others sway your opinions. I myself dunked my ring with several others friends, and with several family members present.</p>