Rutgers University NB Disability program - how good is it for ADHD/MDD student

Hi, DS got into CS program and I want to ask how good the support program is at Rutgers NB. Any suggestions from students or parents with direct experience? I know he might be eligible for extended time for assignments and tests since he currently has one. We are also looking if he can get classes closer to dorm; smaller classes(that might be hard); and probably a coach to work on executive functioning skills.
Also, to be taking bus for classes is making me nervous since it adds extra step for him to manage (or not manage). Pls help. We have to commit by May 1st. He also has other options(Uconn, UBing) but we want him closer to home(Rutgers, Drew, Seton Hall).

I don’t know anything about Rutgers and accommodations, but my son just committed and and very nervous. My 23 year old went to TCNJ because he is medicated for ADHD and Rutgers seemed too overwhelming. From what I’ve read, most colleges don’t seem to help much, students get letters to give professors. My son never needed quiet spots or extra time for test taking so we never got him a 504 in high school. My oldest went to Rutgers, loved it, but explained to her younger siblings that it’s all on them, no one spoon feeds you there, everything is done in your own, you could be dead and no one would know. Unfortunately my 18 year old son who doesn’t have ADHD acts like he does since online schooling, I can’t remember the last assignment he turned in on time, and we are on him about the various things he needs to do on the Rutgers portal.

Thanks Mjkacmom!

1 Like