Safeties, Matches and Reaches for Navy Nursing?

<p>Hey guys. I most likely going to be doing Navy Nursing, so I need safeties, matches and reaches for Navy ROTC nursing schools. For those of you who aren't familiar with NROTC schools, they're all either A) Very prestigious or B) Very large.</p>

<p>3.87 GPA
26 ACT/27 ACT superscored (lol, 23M and 24S. Will be retaking)
15/~400 class rank
Three varsity sports
1st chair trumpet at school all four years, leader and what not..
But I don't have ANY nursing shadowing or anything of the sort. I'll be working on that.</p>

<p>I understand there probably aren't any nursing school safeties seeing that nursing is so competitive these days. But if I get get some good safeties , matches and reaches I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch in advance!</p>

<p>How about Norwich University? From their web site: </p>

<p>"Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) courses are required for students in the Corps of Cadets. Students transferring into the Corps of Cadets are required to pass a course in ROTC for each semester in the Corps.</p>

<p>Except for Nursing students, to be enrolled in Norwich University’s ROTC program or courses, a student must be a member of the Corps of Cadets.</p>

<p>Participation in ROTC, including military labs and physical training, is an integral part of the Corps leadership experience. Cadets must enroll in Army, Air Force, Navy or Marine Corps ROTC to maintain membership in the Corps of Cadets."</p>

<p>Norwich has cadets and “traditional” (civilian) students. What I understand from this is that if you are a nursing student, you can be a traditional student and still be in ROTC. Am I reading that right? Their ACT range is about 20 - 25 so it should be a safety for you.</p>

<p>There seem to be quite a few to choose from. Is there a certain geographical area you want to stay within?
<a href=“Naval Education and Training Command - NETC”>Naval Education and Training Command - NETC;

<p>Thanks greenwitch! I’ve heard of Norwich. It’s a great ROTC school. Thanks for the information!</p>

<p>I live in Michigan. States that I’d prefer to be in are Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc. Basically the Great Lakes region. Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>^^^
Doesn’t the NROTC application require you to list at least one in-state public college that you would be eligible for in-state tuition? If so you only have (according to the above link) two choices in Michigan and Eastern Michigan University would IMHO be more of a safety that the University of Michigan.</p>

<p>If I recall correctly, two years ago Miami University (Ohio) did have an approved NROTC RN program. You might want to call the NROTC unit there to find out whether that’s still true.</p>

<p>Duquesne University in PA is also a good possibility with your stats.</p>

<p>Don’t forget to apply to all the colleges on your NROTC “wish” list and to confirm that they are all direct entry schools.
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/859704-master-list-direct-entry-nursing-programs.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/859704-master-list-direct-entry-nursing-programs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also…START early! Try to complete as many applications as you can by September/October. These programs fill up fast and your chances are better the earlier apply. Don’t forget to apply to some schools that you can afford without a NROTC scholarship…those are getting very difficult to get.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks Aglages. Yeah my in-state college will definitely be Michigan. I’ll apply to Eastern as well! </p>

<p>Does anyone think I could get at least a 50% shot at Purdue, Penn State, Villanova, Florida State, Marquette, Loyola Chicago, Northeastern, Drexel, or Temple?</p>

<p>If you can increase your ACT to 29+, I think you have a shot at PSU and Purdue. With your current stats I think you have a shot at Drexel & Temple. I don’t know much about the other schools. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Rear Admiral Christine M. Bruzek-Kohler was the 21st Director of the United States Navy Nurse Corps, and served as the Commander Naval Medical Center San Diego and Navy Medicine West from May 2009 to August 2010. She will be officially retired from the Navy in December 2010.</p>

<p>A Villanova grad</p>

<p>Wow, that’s pretty sick. I’ve heard some pretty good things about Nova.</p>