Safety of the University of Alabama

Hey guys! I am a current high school student that is interested in the University of Alabama. I am from California. I was wondering what the culture difference is there and how safe the campus and the surrounding area is. Thank you so much. I would love any information that any of you would have about the campus and your experience that you have? I am really into football.

I have visited UA a few times. The campus is beautiful & safe.

@collegecomplete

We live in Alabama, and UA has changed and awful lot. It used to be a sleepy southern school that was just all about football, but they’re quickly becoming an academic powerhouse. Senator Shelby has been instrumental in helping to plow money into the college as well.

UA is becoming less generous with their merit money now that they have what they want: more applicants.

Also, the majority of students aren’t from Alabama, so you’ll be able to find your people there.

The campus is beautiful, and we’ve never experienced any safety issues.

Bama would be a solid choice.

My two cents ?

@buckeyeinbama
Thank you so much for your input!

My experience with out of state students when I attended UA back in the late 80s was that they fell in love with Alabama, so you might end up loving the instate students too. I roomed with a Jersey kid who absolutely fell in love with UA and the South once he arrived.

yes, and as someone who helps many of the preprofessional students at Bama, I can attest that many of the OOS students never want to leave the state. They’re all about getting instate residency so that they can get into UAB or South med schools (the 2 MD med schools in Alabama).

I have never ever felt unsafe on the campus even when walking home from the library at 1am. The campus police are everywhere, but as soon as you get off campus (south of Paul Bryant Drive and West of Bryant Denny Stadium), I would be more wary. However, you should never be walking around on campus in the middle of the night with noise-cancelling headphones on either. Just exercise common sense, and you will never have an issue on campus.