How safe is T-town?

<p>How safe is tuscaloosa town?</p>

<p>Of course I will always take care of my stuff as I have always done, but how frequent is crime in the town?</p>

<p>“Safety” is somewhat relative, Paul, and will depend on where you live now and how comfortable you are there. </p>

<p>They should cover safety at your Bama Bound session next week, but in the meantime, maybe this will be helpful: <a href=“The University of Alabama Police | The University of Alabama”>http://police.ua.edu/csr.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Obviously, off campus will be somewhat different: <a href=“http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Tuscaloosa-Alabama.html”>http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Tuscaloosa-Alabama.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I felt perfectly safe when I was on campus and I walked across it unaccompanied in the evening, but then again I attended college in a big city, where you really DID have to worry about your personal safety at times. </p>

<p>Thanks Lucie. I will define safety as: Is it okay to walk around during day time in Tuscaloosa in general, not necessarily on campus?</p>

<p>Yes, it is ok to walk around Ttown in general. You will feel quite safe in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck!</p>

<p>We are from the Philly burbs and felt very safe in T-Town. </p>

<p>I will admit, coming from a concealed weapons state, I was not prepared to see guns carried openly in T-town. Once I go over my shock, I was ok. There are rules that weapons may not be carried on campus.</p>

<p>My town is very relaxed as well.</p>

<p>@Longhaul‌ </p>

<p>wow…I have never seen folks open carry in Tuscaloosa…and I live here. lol</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids - I only saw 2, but I was so freaked out last year that I asked the police about it. I guess because it was August I was more apt to see the holsters. </p>

<p>I would freak out too because I don’t like any kinds of weapons…</p>

<p>Used to be the norm to see a rifle in the window of a pick-up truck at high schools in the fall and winter - kids would go out hunting before class. I think people are a lot more aware of it now.</p>

<p>I always felt safe, but I also rarely walked anywhere alone and when I did, I stayed alert. At a party, a girl should not go to a guy’s room alone if she’s just met him. And don’t drink something open that somebody handed you - only drink stuff where you have to break a seal. Lock your car doors and don’t leave anything valuable inside. Normal precautions I’d take in my own neighborhood.</p>

<p>Since I am going to another State from safe city of Oregon, I have already decided to drink nothing from strangers.Tha’ts just not a smart decision to drink who-knows-what.
I don’t parties after all haha.</p>

<p>I always lock cars and take anything valuable with me, so i guess I won’t have problems unless there are some crazy evil people who just break into car and attack me.</p>

<p>I like your profile name btw</p>

<p>Never go alone at night - always have someone with you- on campus probably safe but other places NO… </p>

<p>You never walk alone ANYWHERE in America…</p>

<p>Well, UA is safe, as safe as most places. I have to say that my student walked and biked safely on campus all hours of the day and night. However, having said that, I still recommend having a friend walk with you. But if you must go alone as he did, be aware. That means no headphones, no flashy jewelry, no strolling…walk swiftly, keep alert, listen and look. This is just normal common behavior if you have been raised in a large city. Always use common sense, be cautious and you should be fine.
In addition, there are emergency call boxes on campus and the strip if you should need them. If you must walk alone late at night, stick to well lit paths and carry a cellphone for emergencies.
I have never felt unsafe on campus, even at night.</p>

<p>I always felt very safe in and around UA. Like most cities, Tuscaloosa has some not-so-nice areas, but students generally have little reason to visit those areas. The UA campus is generally well-lit and has an open design such that one can generally see people coming from a couple hundred feet away.</p>

<p>I was at IHOP Sunday morning in Huntsville, and a fella had a holstered gun at the next table; he also had part of his right hand wrapped in gauze and a splint or cast - so it wasn’t like he could get to his weapon quickly/efficiently. There is something about the kind of person that feels like they have to carry a gun around like that…</p>

<p>I will not walk/jog at a nearby greenway day or night alone, but will in my neighborhood - day or night. I feel safe in the neighborhood. Incidents have happened in the greenway.</p>

<p>The thing for students to remember is that they are often more trusting than they should be.</p>

<p>I think UA and UAB have very competent and responsive police. Cannot say the same for AU (which is not run by campus but turned over to city control some years ago) and some questionable judgment by UAH police (in recent past, party drunk female non-consensual sex with international hockey player; he was allowed to leave the country. Incident not properly handled IMHO)</p>

<p>This report from 2013 on campus security might answer some questions. Page 39 has some interesting stats on burglary and forced sex on campus. Haven’t seen anyone open carry in Ttown yet, but to me it would imply a safer place as criminals are not as likely to press their luck with armed resistance. </p>

<p><a href=“http://police.ua.edu/images/Campus-Security-Report.pdf”>http://police.ua.edu/images/Campus-Security-Report.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;