SAT Advice for someone with no improvement

I’ve been practicing for the SAT for nearly a year now and while my practice test scores have had steady improvement, the actual SAT scores keep staying in the same range(1280-1330). I’ve already taken it three times with very little improvement and nowhere near my goal of 1400. I have my last attempt this October so if anyone has any strategies or tips for me please share !!

I would suggest you consider studying for the ACT and try taking that test in September or October instead. Some students do better on one vs the other and as you have stated, you are not seeing much improvement for the SAT.

ACT is a good alternative but, 1330 is a pretty good score - that could be as good as it gets. What’s your GPA and target college?

I’m aiming for mostly UC Schools and my top choice is USC which is why I’m really stressing out over my scores. I know they all take a holistic approach to admissions but I feel like my score is way too low for their standards.

I want to try but I’m afraid that if I put all my focus on the ACT and it doesn’t turn out well then I’ll lose my chance on both tests.

Take a practice ACT under regular testing conditions. See how you do.

You either have to try the ACT or change how you are practicing for the SAT.

For the UC’s, they tend to be very GPA focused more so than test focused, but it really depends upon which UC’s you are targeting and your intended major. Top UC’s want to see a overall competitive application including SAT II subject test scores.
USC tends to be more test focused, so you definitely need to figure out a way to bump up your SAT score or try the ACT.

http://admission.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/Freshman-Profile-2019.pdf

2018 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT:

UCB: 1360-1540

UCLA: 1340-1540
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1270-1500
UCD: 1220-1480
UCI: 1230-1490
UCSC: 1210-1450
UCR: 1130-1380
UCM: 1020-1280

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT:
UCB: 30-35
UCLA: 31-35
UCSD: 28-34
UCSB: 28-34
UCD: 26-33
UCI: 26-33
UCSC: 26-32
UCR: 22-30
UCM: 19-26

By all means give the SAT and/or ACT another shot. But also recognize that not everyone ends up with the score they hope for. There is also no magic formula as to how to study (if there was someone would bottle and sell it).

If your scores stay in the same range then you may need to re-evaluate your college application list and make sure it makes sense given your actual scores. If you feel your scores don’t reflect your ability and don’t match your transcript then consider some test-optional colleges. Here is the test optional list sorted by state. https://www.fairtest.org/university/optional/state

Probably the most efficient way to study would be to focus study on those areas which the student has the most trouble with on practice tests (using old real tests).