SAT Scores of fully admitted students without Auto OR Academic Admit

I have 2 Juniors that are interested in A&M. One is Top 10%, the other just out - about 11%. The one that is just out has a current GPA of 98, SAT score of 1250 with plans to retake next month, Varsity sports for 4 years, NHS, many community service hours including some abroad, large, competitive 6A high school in Texas, all AP classes, etc. I was just curious what scores those withOUT auto admit and academic admit have been. Many I see are Blinn/PSA/Galveston/Gateway listed. Thanks in advance!

We are out of state, homeschooler (no class rankings) got full admit to college of liberal arts with 33 on ACT. Sorry it’s not SAT score but just FYI. Also you might want to try ACT as it was better for my son. :slight_smile:

Thanks! One took the ACT last month and scores were comparable to the SAT. The other child had a conflict and couldn’t take it - He is taking it in May so I am curious to see how he does.

Every TAMU admit I know outside of automatic/academic admission has been heavily into Ag/4H. One student I know got in with a 1020, but had an incredible FFA profile.

My son got admitted to Gateway with an 1100 SAT, 24 ACT, 2nd quarter assigned, no Ag, lots of sports, 660 service hours… very excited to do Gateway!

The stats you are looking for do not exist from the school - they release scores & ranks, but do not pair them. See if your school has the program: naviance – it shows GPA & scores of admitted students to specific colleges from your HS in the past. Not sure if your school participates, but if so - that would be a better guide. Once you are out of the realm of automatic admits, the scores & rank only count for 50% of the admission decision so it is everything else on the application that counts for the other 50%. So, two students with identical rank & scores may not get the same outcome due to other factors.

I got accepted full-time at TAMU as a review applicant.
My stats:

• Class rank: Top 29th Percentile [ 89 GPA :frowning: ]
  • Test Scores: 31 ACT, 1350 SAT
  • EC’s: Varsity Tennis (All District Team - 3 years); Band (All Region Player - 3 years); Academic Decathlon (Individual Region Champion & Individual State runner-up - 2 years).
  • No Community Service.
  • Currently taking 6 AP classes. Have previously scored well on my past 5 AP classes.

I’m in-state and come from a large 6A school, albeit not very competitive. I did have some noteworthy letters of recommendation. I’ll be doing Physics, but I plan to transfer into CS. Hope this helped.

I got full acceptance to Texas A&M as a Review as well.

Stats
When did you apply: 8/10
When did you receive your admission decision: 11/27 (Engineering)
When did you receive your admission decision: 12/03 (University)
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: Dwight Look COE MEEN
Did you get in: 11/27 for COE and 12/3rd to the University
Honors program: yes
Class Rank: Top 25.5%
ACT: 30
SAT: 1280 new SAT

APPLY EARLY AND YOU WILL BE FINE!

@lessonwitch2

Didn’t you get into Galveston and not college station?

@RMNiMiTz

Nope! College Station! ( But if you search my name though on the TAMU thread, you will see a lot of people saying that I’d get some kind of path way when I asked last year. ) I really think its because I applied early.

APPLY EARLY if you really want to avoid those PSA’s / Galveston . (Besides @mollykdolan ) I’ve never heard of someone who applied early get denied. Fortunately, she ended up getting admitted in the end. Apply early because it HELPS if you want to get into A&M .

My son received full admission to CS: 2nd quarter, 28 ACT, Varsity sports, Good extracurricular plus leadership positions, and excellent essays. I was really expecting Blinn Team or Gateway (or PSA) for him.

Congratulations! What is his major?

Ag Leadership and Development

My daughter got full admit into the College of Education as a review applicant, here is her information:

When did you apply: 9/17/16
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Review Admit
Major/College of Choice: College of Education
Class Rank: 186/827 (top 21%)
GPA: 6.3 out of 7, weighted
SAT: 1200 new sat (610 math, 590 english)
ACT: 23

Three excellent essays and 2 letters of recommendation (1 from a teacher and 1 personal reference).

Attended Texas A&M camp for future educators last summer and received a letter of recommendation from Assistant Director Recruitment and Scholarships College of Education and Human Development at Texas A&M.

Involved in a lot of activities, NHS, Key Club, cheerleading, track, TAFE, Senior Women, etc. and well over 50 hours community service.

I think a lot of the decision has to do with what they are majoring in also. Good luck!!

@lessonwitch2, there are many early applicants that get denied - people rarely advertise denials as much as they do acceptances. 65% (by the numbers) of review applicants get denied or PSA. Odds are that some of those applied on Aug 1. I think the reason you got in is because you wrote an essay explaining your rank was due to re-location hardships, had many years of outside activities & awards as well as a score that is academic admit level (30) after re-taking. You were one of the oddities - they weren’t suppose to accept you in engineering review before they accepted you to the university. I think you (and others like you) caused the deferral program to start up - checking on who has university acceptance prior to consideration for engineering. Applying early did put you in the first wave of engineering review which is an advantage.

The way that admissions work is that once admitted, you can pick any major that is open(except engineering which has a second round). So, @DianeVa I think it is the combination of resume supporting the major requested that resulted in an admission along with a valued recommendation writer. She sounds very well rounded, I think your daughter’s overall package was the key to her success, not just her major. She can still switch majors, up to the NSC - if it is an open major. Popularity is what makes a major “difficult” here, not actual academics due to rolling admissions to major. If your choice is not available, they do ask you to pick another open major. One item of note, it is not an easy task to switch majors once school begins. Do not go in with the idea of picking a major you don’t want because you think you’ll gain admission & switch later. That is very high risk now. Also the ‘rules’ have been changing quite a bit lately, don’t count on them staying the same (they recently changed the transfer policies on changing major).

@AGmomx2

Hello! My essays likely had some weight, but it didn’t explain why my grades and test scores were sub-par and my activities seemed all over the place(Were mostly not relevant to engineering or each other) AND I WAS SHOCKED about my spelling errors when I reused my essays for other schools. And I still think applying early is helpful because at my school we have kids in the second quarter with a 1220 on the sat and one club who still got full admission to engineering. But he applied August 1st; while it may not be guaranteed it may help.

And SORRY if I did cause the deferral! But I don’t think applying early is the norm.

Statistically, I don’t think that many reviews apply early, because review applicants don’t need to be reviewed until after Dec 1 or until all the auto admits are admitted. However, (and this is slight speculation) say 100 auto admits and 5 reviews are at a particular moment in the application process. If A&M finished admitting the 100 autos, then it would make sense to move to the 5 reviews and see if they should be admitted or not; even if it isn’t the traditional December 1st deadline. That would explain why reviews this year were being notified in October and November. But factually, A&M (and most Public Texas schools) receive the bulk of their applications the month before the deadline. But that’s just my thoughts .