Scholarship Application

<p>Hello, all. I am currently working on the incoming freshman scholarship to the college of liberal arts and sciences. In the section for awards, I am wondering how much is too much. For example, do they want things as small as earning a varsity letter in a sport or an achievement award for a class taken freshman year in high school? What have others put in- is there a number I should limit my awards to? Thanks!</p>

<p>A short summary of varsity letters is fine. Usually done like this:
Varsity Football-2,3,4
Varsity Baseball-3,4</p>

<p>I’d skip single class awards. Just things like outstanding Sophomore or the like would be very good.</p>

<p>My son was accepted into College of Engineering in early Dec. The CE invited him to apply for the Freshman Achievement Award (done). The next week he was invited to apply for The Wisconsin International Scholars (WISc) Program…haven’t done that yet. Yesterday he got an email asking for midterm grades. Is all of this normal? He’s got 6 AP classes this year(got 2 “B’s” fall trimester!), is a busy guy, and writing essays and chasing down scholarships that he may not have a chance for feels like busywork. Can any one provide any perspective or advice?</p>

<p>I totally understand your question, but don’t have any answers. </p>

<p>I probably should have thought longer about completing one of my Wisc. scholarship applications. I spent an enormous amount of time completing one of them, only to find out that there are typically 1200 applicants for 10 scholarships that range from $500 to $2000. It’s not that I couldn’t really use that money, I just don’t know if my time would have been spent in other areas or working on other scholarship apps. I’m taking the attitude that you can only get a scholarship if you apply for it.</p>

<p>Thanks for responding. I know he’s a “pretty good” candidate, at least good enough to get on the radar of Madison and a few other schools. But I don’t know if he’s great, and that’s what it will take (and that’s fine…I’m very proud of him). So we have the discussion “you MAY have a chance if you apply, but you will have NO chance if you don’t apply”. We haven’t quite talked ourselves into not applying for the scholarships but my gut says it won’t be worth it.</p>

<p>Make a list of all of your awards. Rank them according to size/probable value- a classroom one would be last on the list. Don’t forget awards for any music or academic competitions in your area. Include schoolwide awards- such as being best in your grade on those national math tests. Let UW decide if your award is worth more than the one listed on someone else’s application. Getting into State for music- having a *1 at your district festival- is an accomplishment. Getting the top award at math meets counts.</p>

<p>Agree that applying is the only way to have a chance. You earn a scholarship with your record and effort put into the application. It may seem like too much time, but that’s what it takes to differentiate yourself from many similar students. Your record could be best, but they won’t know it if you don’t tell them.</p>