School of Management Not as Bad as I Thought.

I was doing research on behalf of my son who is currently in high school, and I was very surprised at one aspect with regards to the SOM. I know that it is very hard to get into the SOM from high school or from harpur for that matter, although if you transfer from another college with a 3.0 gpa it is easier to get in (which I do not understand) but that is how it is.

In doing my research I was surprised to find out that to graduate and stay in the SOM you only need a 2.0 gpa. Now, I realize that is not something to strive for, but I was very surprised to see this given that the SOM is a very competitive program to get into.

Just as a point of reference. Suny Buffalo you need a 3.0 to stay in the school of management, Suny Albany you need a 3.0 gpa in the business school and a 3.25 gpa overall (both schools are excellent by the way) New Paltz, you need a 2.75 gpa to stay in the school of business. Schools like Oswego, Oneonta, Geneseo, Fredonia, and Brockport, you need a 2.0 gpa same as Binghamton.

I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this. I know the SOM is the hardest Business school to get into of all the SUNY’S, however, it is easier to stay in as opposed to Suny Albany, Buffalo, and New Paltz.

They say 3.0, but most of the people coming into SOM have 3.5+ and some still don’t get in.
I’m a college transfer after 1st year and only have a 3.3 trying to get into Harpur, but even I don’t have a chance.

Dont say that!! I know people who went to community colleges with a 3.0 average and got into Harpur. It is alot easier as a transfer student with a 3.0 than a high school with a 3.0 that is for sure.

I know that Bing has an excellent business program, however, they think they are Wharton, Harvard, Duke, Yale, and Columbia all rolled up into one. I think they think a bit too highly of themselves, but whatever.

Anyway, good luck!!

Actually it is really hard to get into SoM as a transfer coming from another school. It’s also really really hard to do it as an intra-university transfer. There are lots of schools with decent business programs that are less competitive like Baruch in the CUNY system. SoM is a decent school, especially for accounting but they do have limited resources (like Watson as well) so they can’t let too many people in the program. The curiculuum itself isn’t that amazing or challenging, but its decent and a lot of companies recruit from there.

I agree with you 100%. It is really really hard to get into the SOM intra-university which amazes me. Why would a 3.0 Harpur student have a harder time than a 3.5 transfer student? I never understood that. You would think that the university would take care of their own first!! I am not talking about a 2.5 or a 2.8 Harpur student, I am talking about a 3.0 or a 3.2 Harpur student. I will never for the life of me figure out college administrations.

You are also correct as far as the faculty goes. I

Sorry, got cut off. You are also correct as far as the SOM faculty goes. It is nothing special. If you read rate my professors ( I know you cannot totally go by that) but if you really look at alot of the ratings, they are the same as any other university. You get your great, good, and shitty professors. We have friends and their son went to the SOM. He got in as a transfer from u of delaware. He even said that alot of the professors were just average, nothing special. He was an accounting major, and yes, he works for EY. So yes, Bing does have excellent recruiting, however, so does Albany, Geneseo, Buffalo, and especially, Baruch. As you mentioned, Baruch may not be as competitive to get into, but the Zicklin School of Business is top notch for Accounting, and all of the major firms gobble up their good students just like Bing.

As far as resources go, that is where I am confused. If you go to Oswego, or Oneonta, Geneseo, they do not have the same crazy 3.7 gpa standards to get into the business school as Bing does. Does Bing have fewer resources than oswego, oneonta, new paltz?? I think not. I just think that BIng does not want to let in alot of students because they want to create an aurora of “we are special” Nothing wrong with that. Harvard and Wharton do that, but I do not think the resources excuse is the reason. They control how many students get in because they want to be thought of as “elite”