School orchestra

My S is a flutist and took piano lessons for a while. They were definitely helpful, but expensive and time consuming. Piano teachers are not great at understanding this is a second instrument and the kids do not have hours to practice.

2 Likes

Both of our kids took piano as a second instrumentā€¦and they had fabulous teachers who understood that piano wasnā€™t their primary instrument. But then, our kids really enjoyed their piano lessonsā€¦so it wasnā€™t a burden to them to practice for their weekly lessons.

But back to your original question. If your student is playing in a precollege orchestra, takes private lessons, etcā€¦then I would not worry about playing in the school orchestra.

2 Likes

My clarinet kid played piano for years before starting clarinet; his teacher was great and always very clear that her goal as a teacher is for kids to enjoy and appreciate musicā€“i.e. sheā€™s not the right teacher if youā€™re looking to be a professional pianist. So that was perfect for himā€“heā€™s always really enjoyed piano and it gave him a great base when he started clarinet (and continues to be helpful now in college)ā€“but it was a lesson once a week/half an hour of practice a day kind of thing for him.

3 Likes

That is so important, we have had a hard time finding teachers like that since most kids around here become serious, and my Sā€™s school before his precollege was prep for precollege!

2 Likes

I canā€™t remember everything my son had to do to test out of class piano in college. He already played piano well and he brushed up with his previous piano teacher the summer before. There were certainly all major and minor scales, different kinds of chords. He had to play something like a hymn from a hymnal and be able to play from a choral score. I canā€™t recall what else. Itā€™s more practical piano than classical piano lesson piano. You maybe able to find specific information about testing out of class piano on a collegeā€™s website.

1 Like

Also on the piano proficiency at my sonā€™s music schoolā€” chord progressions, transposing a simple melody, accompanying a simple instrumental solo, playing all the parts of a choral score.

1 Like

Most schools for music degrees have piano/keyboard classes in different categories. Whether is conserv/uni-college/or community colleges even
Not a part of admission and there is usually no entrance exam unless you want to test out of something.

usually there is keyboard for beginners/non-pianists, one for pianists, and other categories depending on the school.

Iā€™m not saying piano is easy(Iā€™m a violinist and I find piano to be quite challenging because the motions are too symmetrical in comparison to string motions)-- but usually classes for non-piano-majors donā€™t ask of anything too too difficult.
Itā€™s definitely great if he has some experience with piano because of how helpful the instrument is-- reading clef signs quickly with both clefs and having basic technical understanding (hand position/how to play piano mechanics-wise) will give him enough of a headstart.

Regarding your question about school orchestras: if the orchestra at school has good funding and investment from the district-- there may be opportunities such as festivals, masterclasses, honor society clubs and other activities that go beyond playing 50-75 minutes in a classroom. Although the music is not as complex as youth orchestras because most orchestras try to accommodate a larger range of skills in their rep: I always felt that it did so much more for my perspective and appreciation for music. If he ever has the time to take school orchestra for one year; itā€™s a nice thing to try for sure. But if itā€™s not within his schedule for the rest of his pre-college experience, then donā€™t worry about it! I did youth orchestra from middle school 7th grade allt he way to my sophomore year of hs-- but had done school orchestra at the same time from 6th grade alllll the way to 12. I honestly stopped youth orchestra once I felt like I had brushed through some great iconic orchestra rep and then stepped into just school orchestras because I found more stuff to do there than just clock in once a week only for like- three hours and not knowing a single soul in the ensemble with everyone coming in from everywhere.
Bonus points if thereā€™s an auditioned group option at the school orchestra programs: usually school auditioned groups is a good way to marry youth orchestra program rep intensity and school orchestra spirit.

I ended up majoring in music and Iā€™m currently pursuing a degree in performance-- I definitely think as long as ur kid is enrolled in any orchestra or has any orchestra experience school or outside school: its good enough for sure! I know a lot of peers at my uni (thatā€™s pretty competitive)-- did both, one one of those-- and everyone ends up alright!

1 Like