School Shooter at UNC today

Make sure your students and friends are safe. The campus is on lockdown. Public schools are on lockdown, and Chapel Hill is in a state of emergency.

1 Like

Horrible.

I still can’t get over the U of SC kid shot off campus, going into the wrong house at 2A.

There’s no details - but do you have to shoot to kill someone?

And we continue to defend rights and I just don’t understand.

Hope this situation is resolved without any loss of life. Of course, all these kids are at a dream school and they start their education like this.

Just terrible.

4 Likes

Our niece is there. Swat team on site.

2 Likes

Very scary. The alleged shooter, graduate student Tailei Qi, is in custody.

2 Likes

I was betting it was some upset grad student

Apparently a faculty member was killed.

Oh no! That’s terrible.

So incredibly horrible. Both of these incidents. These are all now feeling like triggers (sorry, no pun intended), as a family affected by random senseless gun violence.

Recent news on the subject:

1 Like

He shot and killed his advisor who was also Chinese. The advisor just started teaching at UNC in 2019 and they had authored several papers together. I bet this would not have happened in China or another country. Guns are too easy to get here. Local news story with more details here: UNC faculty shooting victim was suspect's academic adviser

I live in Chapel Hill but was out of town taking my D22 to college. My husband was giving me updates while I was driving. Scary stuff. Very somber mood in town when I returned last night with few people out on the street.

1 Like

A professional disagreement or a personal disagreement, I wonder?

I don’t know. Maybe both. The article that @ucbalumnus posted has a good summary of his Twitter posts. Sounds like he thought people he worked with thought he was not working hard enough although I did not see anything to indicate that was the case. I do feel like if he was doing this same work in another country and felt slighted there he wouldn’t have had easy access to a gun. Seems a particularly American and tragic solution to his problem.

Very sad for the senseless loss of his very accomplished advisor but so glad he did not take out anyone else out on top of that.

2 Likes

Unbelievably, two weeks after a live shooter event occurred at UNC, another happened today.
https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2023/09/13/unc-campus-lockdown-armed-dangerous-person

Glad he was apprehended quickly. It’s the trophy school for so many kids and yet the experience for many has to be so traumatizing and for a professor to lose their life - just terrible.

1 Like

Good news sources for this story are WRAL.com and abc11.com and www.dailytarheel.com and chapelboro.com

The gist of the story as I understand is this guy was the boyfriend of an employee at Alpine Bagel in the student union. I believe the employee had been fired or had a dispute with their boss.

Boyfriend shows up and shouts at male cashier at the bagel place to “come over here and talk to me”. Says “you know who I am”.
Male cashier says he doesn’t know the guy.
Guy says “come over here!”
Cashier says “I don’t know you.”
Guy says “you know who I am come over here”
Cashier says “who the F are you?”
Guy pulls out a gun and points it at cashier’s head. Another female worker comes out and says “put that sh-t away” and guy puts the gun away and leaves.

Gun was never fired. He was caught about 1 hr later.

I would say the area where he was caught was east of campus almost in Durham and not north of campus, but I guess it’s NE.

It’s very traumatizing for the students to have another lockdown. The lockdowns are so scary, but I think they are the right thing to do in this screwed up situation. We need gun reform now. This is not normal.

2 Likes

Was it on campus in Chapel Hill or in another city? Every report I read said the gun was drawn on campus and that’s what led to the UNC campus lockdown.

1 Like

Apparently, the incident was on campus, but the suspect left campus and was arrested later off campus.

It was at a bagel store on campus.

1 Like

Omg. Poor guy at the bagel counter. That will never leave his mind.

1 Like