Self study IB English?

<p>Our entire public school system has been shut down for over a month because of teacher strikes, and I need to start studying IB courses by myself. I can't get in contact with the teachers, so can anyone recommend ways I could study my Literature course by myself? Apart from reading through the books we were supposed to do, I'm at a bit of a loss.</p>

<p>I would suggest finding another school that has an IB program, contact the teacher who teacher teaches that particular class and contact them. If you explain the situation, they may send you a syllabus/study guide from their class. Also, barnes and noble has great books. My son had a terrible AP Stat teacher, he bought the AP book at B&N and got a 5 on the exam, after self teaching. GOOD LUCK!</p>

<p>Thanks @ZBD5421‌ , and do you know how I might be able to improve on my essays too? None of the teachers are allowed to tutor students right now, but is it possible to self critique my own writing?</p>

<p>Does your school have an IB Coordinator? That would be the person to talk to. Or the IB Coordinator a nearby school would be able to give you some answers.</p>

<p>When the strike is resolved, I’m sure your teachers will arrange things so that your IAs can all be submitted, etc. try not to worry - the exams aren’t until May and you already sound like you’ll be very well prepared - just by virtue caring so much!</p>

<p>If you go to Amazon, you can find IB Course Companions for all the classes you’ve listed. All together they may be a bit pricey, but the course companions do a good job of covering the material of the syllabus.</p>

<p>I would definitely try to get in contact with the IB Coordinator if possible. The school needs to have a plan for how they are going to help you all do what you have to do to get the diploma. IBO has requirements for the number of teaching hours for each course - which is why unlike AP, you can’t self-study and sit for an IB exam without taking a class. </p>

<p>Do you have a local college or community college around?? I would guess if you went to their english department and explained the situation, there may be a professor there who would take you under their wing and help you out. </p>

<p>Thanks, I’ll try that out!</p>

<p>Oh and @dheldreth‌ , do you have any suggestions for which brand of IB guide to buy for English?</p>

<p>I’ve bought the Oxford University Press IB Course Companion Guides for myself and they were very helpful. While they tend to be a little expensive, they’re an excellent place to start. <a href=“http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/i/international-baccalaureate-ibo/?type=listing&cc=us&lang=en”>http://global.oup.com/academic/content/series/i/international-baccalaureate-ibo/?type=listing&cc=us&lang=en&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The ones we used in our school are the ones linked to by seeniebeenie You can find these on Amazon also, so you may want to compare prices. I have the most experience with the IB Biology course companion. The authors are IB Biology moderators, and one year there were actually some complaints that the answer to one of the questions on paper 2 could only be anwered completely correctly if you had this book - the markscheme (answers to test) was pretty much word for word from the book, and not an answer you would find all in one place somewhere else. Someone else may know more about other subjects, but I would guess that all of the course companions are written by experienced IB teachers and moderators. These are probably your best bet for self study. Some of our courses used them for textbooks, some used them as supplementary review material. </p>

<p>There are some pretty good prep books on amazon, they are about 40 dollars check it out</p>

<p>Thanks so much for everyone’s help! You guys rock <3</p>