Self study IB

<p>Since joining CC I have been exposed to many things that I previously had no experience with, including the IB program. From what I have gathered, it is similar to the AP program (which I have also learned that you can self study). </p>

<p>So my question is, is it possible to self study an IB course and are there benefits? (My school does not offer IB)</p>

<p>Any other information would also be helpful! :)</p>

<p>You can’t self-study IB at all. And it’s not similar to AP at all. There’s way too many things that are part of IB (not sure if you’re talking about the Diploma or individual classes). I’m going into IB myself as a Junior this coming year, and I know that there’s simply too many things in IB that makes it impossible to self-study. There’s internal and external assessments. I think some of these are sent to some outside IB graders. And if you’re doing the Diploma, you also have CAS (Creativity, Action, and Service), the Extended Essay, and Theory of Knowledge.</p>

<p>Schools have to be certified to offer the IB program. There’s IB coordinators, CAS coordinators, teacher training, official examinations, extended essay supervisors, and all kinds of processes that simply must be conducted by the school. Sorry. There isn’t much point to self-studying IB courses anyways because college credit may just as well be obtained through AP courses; the real value of IB lies in its unique classroom culture and the experience of being part of a community of overworked IB students.</p>