Seniors: What schools did you apply to?

Hello! My name is Jon and I want to welcome you to the exclusive HS class of 2021 forum. If you are a senior, join the High School Class of 2021 group to post and share your experience!

When you start college you’ll discover the dreaded “ice breaker activities”:

• Guess the famous person taped to your forehead by asking other people “yes or no” questions.
  • Figure out which of three statements is a lie.
  • Build a tower out of spaghetti and tape.

That sort of thing can be fun, but is kinda hard to do on a forum. Instead, I’d like to ask three questions:

1. Which schools have you applied to?
  2. What do you hope to get out of your college experience?
  3. Who would you like to meet in person once the pandemic is over?
5 Likes

So, I’ve applied to the following under regular decision :

1. MIT
  2. Stanford
  3. Princeton
  4. Yale
  5. Brown
  6. Cornell
  7. Vassar
  8. Colgate
  9. Richmond
  10. Reed
  11. Franklin and Marshall
  12. Macalester

Also, I applied REA to Harvard and was rejected. :sweat_smile:

I really like to have new experiences and dive deeper into physics (my love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) while also pursuing my interest in maths by doing a minor in it, or may be a double-major. I’d make some good friends for life and just enjoy the life while I learn what I like, and in the meantime providing those opportunities to the students which I myself wasn’t able to get.

I’d really like to meet Terence Tao (Terry), because I really like the approach he uses and his way of thinking and visualizing a problem.

5 Likes

My parents met at Macalester. They were both physics majors and both went on to get Masters degrees in physics. I know it’s the last on your list, but it wouldn’t be a bad choice. :wink:

5 Likes

I applied to way too many schools (here are the ones I have left to hear from)

1. UC Berkeley
  2. UCLA
  3. UCSD
  4. UCSB
  5. UC Irvine
  6. UC Davis
  7. San Jose State University
  8. Cal Poly SLO
  9. WUSTL
  10. Brown
  11. Cornell
  12. MIT
  13. Columbia
  14. Princeton
  15. Duke
  16. Northeastern

uh yeah… a lot… I’ve also gotten into my safety (Pitt) and rejected from Stanford.

1. I applied for EE but now want to do applied math so I am probably gonna want to explore more deeply in mathematics, maybe go into mathematical applications in politics (like Game Theory) but I’m sorta indecisive.

2. If we’re talking anyone, I mean I love Robert Reich, and I know he teaches at Cal, and so I’d want to meet him and talk wealth inequality maybe.

5 Likes

Sure, I’ve gotten into a safety in my country (India), and so I only applied for the schools which I thought best-suited me, considering the fact that I come from a lower-middle income family (my father makes around $25k per annum) and so I also need financial aid.
I selected colleges which I felt that I should make an application to, which was based on my interest, the campus and the financial aid. So may be Mac is last at my list, but if I get in, I’d surely love to go there.

4 Likes

I applied to:

1. Stanford
  2. UPenn (rejected ED)
  3. Georgetown
  4. Dartmouth
  5. Cornell
  6. Northwestern
  7. NYU
  8. BC
  9. American University (I applied for regular admission and for admission to the honors program which I would honestly consider tied with or arguably better than Cornell in terms of my interests and ability)
  10. GW
  11. Fordham (Got in EA)

I want to major in Poli Sci/Government for most of my schools except American where I want to major in CLEG (Communications, Legal, Economic, and Governmental Studies)

I’d honestly love to meet Joe Biden!

9 Likes

I applied to and was accepted by
U of M ( Ann Arbor)
Albion College
Hope College
and Western Michigan University
Hillsdale College rejected me

I am going to attend Hope college And pursue my bachelor’s degree in psychology.

In college, I want to make friends. Being social is hard for me. I get very overwhelmed. I’m probably going to join Greek life so I can surround myself with other strong, ambitious girls. I may join a dancing club ( im ballroom trained Latin pro-am and American)
After the pandemic…I had plans go to Berlin with my boyfriend but may change that to St. Croix since it’s closer.

8 Likes

My 7 schools I applied to were:
Arizona State University
University of Arizona
Miami University (OH)
Purdue University
Ohio State University
Georgia Tech
Denison University
So far I have gotten into ASU, UofA, Miami, Purdue, and OSU. I was rejected at Georgia Tech, and I’m waiting for my Denison decision. I also applied for honors at all the schools where they offer it. I plan on majoring in either Data Analytics or Business Analytics. Right now, my top three are OSU, Purdue, and Miami, but I have no idea where I’ll end up.
Edit: Just realized there were more questions
2.) I am really excited for the independence aspect of college. I want to really involved and really take full advantage. I would love to study abroad and hope to do several internships.
3.) I would love to meet Tulsi Gabbard, she is about the only politicain I would allign myself with currently. I share her values and like how she is willing to be bipartisan to work towards positive change.

6 Likes
  1. Baylor University (Accepted)
  2. Boston University
  3. Brown University
  4. Case Western Reserve University
  5. Indiana University Bloomington (Accepted Honors College)
  6. Tulane University (EA Deferred)
  7. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill (Accepted Honors College)
  8. University of Illinois at Chicago (Accepted Honor College)
  9. Vanderbilt University
  10. Washington University in St. Louis

I want to go to college to pursue a career in medicine and conduct research. I am hoping to get a diverse educational and cultural experience from college that will create personal growth. Sounds kinda cheesy but yeah :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Applied to:

1. San Diego State
  2. Cal Poly SLO
  3. UC Riverside
  4. UC Santa Cruz
  5. UC Davis
  6. UC Irvine
  7. UC San Diego
  8. UC Santa Barbara
  9. UCLA
  10. UC Berkeley
  11. University of Washington
  12. Loyola Marymount
  13. USC
  14. Vanderbilt
  15. Johns Hopkins
  16. Stanford
  17. Harvard

I want to college to get involved in behavioral science research and take interesting intro classes! I hope to make good friends and become part of a tight knit community.

4 Likes
  1. I applied to:

Stanford - Deferred
Georgia Tech - Accepted EA - Stamps/Gold Alternate
U-Michigan - Accepted EA College of Engineering
UC Berkeley
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Columbia
Harvard
Cornell
UPenn
Dartmouth
MIT
Johns Hopkins University
Boston University
The George Washington
Union College
University of Connecticut
Universidad de Puerto Rico - Mayaguez

1. I really envision mixing my two passions, engineering and arts. I love to analyze art, and engineering itself is an art. I will major in Biomedical Engineering and later pursue a career in medicine.
  2. Lin Manuel Miranda.
2 Likes
  1. UCLA
  2. UCSB
  3. UCI
  4. SDSU
  5. CSULB
  6. University of Washington
  7. Washington State University
  8. Syracuse University
  9. Rutgers University - New Brunswick
  10. University of Pittsburgh
4 Likes

In no particular order

1. Northwestern (Rejected ED)
  2. The Ohio State University
  3. Washington University in St. Louis
  4. Case Western
  5. Drexel
  6. Johns Hopkins
  7. Carnegie Mellon
  8. Olin College of Engineering
  9. University of Nebraska-Lincoln

UNL I applied to because they guaranteed me admission and I had a fee waiver. The rest I’m genuinely interested in attending.

1. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to explore myself and be independent. I’m really excited about internships and research.

2. My best friend. I’ve seen her once since the pandemic started, and just want to give her a giant hug.

4 Likes

don’t really have a top at the moment lol but here it is

nyu (rejected ED)
umd (rejected EA)
purdue(accepted EA)
drexel (accepted EA)
howard (accepted EA)
umbc (accepted EA)
penn state
temple
harvard
columbia
northeastern
BU
yale
syracuse
GW

1. i really want to find myself and form new experiences that will shape me into a better global citizen

2. no one really lol i’ve been seeing everyone bc of in person school

5 Likes

Columbia (accepted ED)
UNC Chapel Hill
Loyola Maryland
Emory
UCLA
UC Berkeley
UMinnesota - Twin Cities (accepted to Honors College RA)
UMich

1. Really want to learn more about my field of study and explore new experiences at college.

2. Hopefully some of my high school friends and I hope to have an in person graduation, but COVID has been getting worse in my state so I’m not sure.

5 Likes

I’ve applied to:

1. Columbia College Chicago (Accepted EA)
  2. St. John’s University (Accepted EA)
  3. Howard University (Accepted EA)
  4. Cleveland State University (Accepted EA)
  5. Case Western Reserve University (Accepted EA)
  6. Loyola Marymount University (Accepted EA)
  7. The New School (Accepted EA)
  8. Northeastern University (Accepted EA)
    And I’m still waiting to hear from:
  9. Emerson College
  10. Boston University
  11. Chapman University
  12. Wesleyan University
  13. NYU
  14. Virginia Commonwealth University
  1. I want to get real world experience more than anything…I feel like our generation has been a little sheltered and I’m excited to make my own path in the world!
  1. I’m not sure…I really just want to be on campus for my freshman year and meet as many new people as I can.
6 Likes

Hey y’all!
So the places that I have applied to are: (edited for privacy as of rn)

Overall I’m really excited to meet new people and especially meet internet friends I’ve made during this pandemic. I’m excited about furthering my research and being able to take rlly niche & quirky classes that we didn’t really have in high school. May be cliche, but I’m just looking forward to being in a whole new environment.

I want to meet Amanda Gorman. Definitely one of my idols right now.

11 Likes