Serious IB Problem (Subjects VS Diplomma)

<p>Hi there, </p>

<p>Do universities scrutinize individual IB subjects or look at the IB diplomma points overall? As I posted a bit in another thread, I was really ill last year and did horribly on my IB-- one of these classes was a self-taught subject that I cannot retake in November. I ended up with a 4 in one subject which I cannot retake. I do plan to retake all other 5 subjects this November. </p>

<p>Even if I were to redo my other classes and end up with 40 IB points overall (including bonus points) will universities be put off by the 4 in one subject or will they look at my 40 IB diplomma points as a whole? </p>

<p>Please help.</p>

<p>Bump? Or something?</p>

<p>One 4 is not going to kill your record. Are you mostly 7’s in your other subjects? At the end of the day it’s your overall score that is more impressive.</p>

<p>If a college looks at your scores it will be for placement. I wouldn’t stress too much over them.</p>

<p>the only colleges that would care about your IB scores are international universities.</p>

<p>Most U.S. schools recognize the IB Diploma/ classes credit in some fashion. Typically schools award credit for scores in HL, usually 5 and up. But, sometimes 4s do get you some credit. </p>

<p>If you are able to get the IB Diploma, the school usually awards more credit than if you just do subject tests.</p>

<p>All top schools in the U.S., especially Ivies, do hold the IB program in high regard. It is also helpful in international schools. If you want a U.S. college though, look at schools in Florida. Those schools award the most credit (SL and HL) out of any schools I’m considering.</p>

<p>A four is passing. Assuming you took it junior year, it’s an SL course anyway, which won’t give you college credit (for the most part). Plus, the others above are right: the college won’t care about one IB test score. You passed your test; do well on other tests and you’ll receive your diploma.</p>

<p>You won’t even get your senior year scores until after you get accepted into a university. So don’t fret! A four is passing and is not the end of the world! Your doing IB that is what matters most!
Universities will recognize the overall score, they realize that not all students can excel in every subject. People have interests!</p>