SFSU vs SJSU for Masters in School Counseling

My daughter just got into both programs and has to decide asap. Her goal is to become a school counselor with the PPS credential and not the LPCC (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors).

[SFSU] MS in Counseling, School Counseling

[SJSU] MA in Counseling and Guidance, specializing in K-12 School Counseling with PPS Credential Option

Both schools have high-priced housing, likely more than what we will pay for tuition as CA residents. Please help us decide. Thanks!

I am not familiar with this degree, but it seems that the MA is providing the PPS credential option (which she wants), while the MS is not. Is that correct?

Both programs provide the PPS Credential, thanks

Will one degree allow for more opportunities than the other? Is there a big cost difference between the two? Has your daughter spoken to students and recent grads from each program?

Unfortunately for both programs, we do not know how to get in contact with students and recent grads. And since she just cleared the waitlist for SFSU today (Monday) they want her decision by Thursday.

Did she try emailing and asking if there are current students who would possibly speak with her? Can she set up an appointment with the dept head and ask some questions?

GREAT idea! Will do.

1 Like

Do the programs involve the equivalent of “student teaching”? If so, I would look at which community she most likely wants to work in after she graduates. Placements while in school can lead to connections and, sometimes, job offers.

Yes, 800-1000 hrs of counseling internship at local PK-12 schools that have an MOU set up with the graduate school.

Her goal is to get a job in her former school district here in SoCal, where she has been interning with her former HS counselor. However, she did not get in to any of the school counseling graduate programs here in SoCal.

Wondering whether she should take a gap year and reapply to the SoCal programs plus apply to add’l SoCal programs.

In that case, I would look at where the two schools place their students for internships and see if one region looks better than the other to a prospective So Cal employer. South Bay school districts tend to pay more than SF.

2 Likes

These programs usually require students to work in underserved communities. Your daughter might look up the details and see if this applies to her.

The Golden State Teacher Grant Program, which provides $20,000 in tuition and expenses, will now be available to those pursuing a master’s in counseling, with the requirement that recipients agree to work at least two years in California public schools.

1.She just emailed the dept heads to speak to current students.
2.Good to know that South Bay districts pay more than those in SF (makes us lean towards SJSU).
3.Just checked out the Golden State Teacher Grant; if it requires financial need then she will not qualify, even though many of the schools in her former SoCal district are priority schools at which she can work towards the 4 years to pay back the grant.

The school might let her know which districts they have a relationship with. You can go to the district’s website, look under HR and look for certificated staff salary schedule. It should show you how much counselors are paid. You can also Google “XYZ salary schedule” to find where it is posted.

Both teachers and counselors are paid based on the number of units they complete after their bachelor’s degree. The number of units completed puts an employee in a different column. Each step in the column (going down) is the number of years they have been working. For example, Alameda’s salary schedule (scroll down for counselors) vs Santa Clara’s salary schedule.

1 Like

Safety in SF vs SJ? That would be my major concern.
My daughter spent 4 years in SF and it was not considered very safe. She always had Mace with her and traveled from Parnassas to Mission Bay daily.

What great resources you’ve provided! So good to know the difference in salaries between Alameda and Santa Clara districts.

1 Like

My other daughter lives and works in SF and commutes by bus from Nob Hill to the Financial District. She too carries pepper spray in one hand.

SJSU because it’s safer than anywhere in San Francisco.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.