Short UM Financial/Scholarship question- please read

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I was wondering what the policy was on outside scholarships? Do they reduce your financial aid package if you get a sizable outside scholarship? Or do they add on all the outside scholarship money to your financial aid? I received some scholarship/fin aid money from UM plus some outside scholarships and I would like to know how it works. Please note: my UM financial aid/scholarship + outside scholarships does not exceed the cost of attendance. If anyone has had past experiences on this topic, please comment! Thank you.</p>

<p>I believe that they’ll reduce need based aid, but I know they will not reduce merit based aid. But I’m not entirely sure about the first assertion about need based aid. If I were you, I’d call financial aid at 305-284-5212.</p>

<p>Plus some scholarships and aid is limited to tuition/fees only and cannot be used for room and board, while others are non-restricted. It certainly gets confusing. As rankinr suggests, the best way to gain clarity is to call the people who enforce the rules.</p>