Should all UC Freshman Classes Be Limited to10% Non-Resident

Yikes…Cornell is a NY land grant school and those hybrid Cornell colleges are not even considered “state schools” like the SUNYs.

They are there to educate as many CA kids as they are paid to by the state of CA. It is not their primary function though.

Land grant collages were part of the Morrill Land-Grant Act. Federal land was given to start colleges and university to focus on agriculture, science, engineering because until that time most schools were focusing on liberal arts or divinity. Some states put the universities on the donated federal land (so they aren’t necessarily near the big cities although cities may have grown up around the universities) and some states sold the land and used the money to develop the universities in other places, maybe on state owned land. They were federal grants, so no restriction that they be for instate students only or even primarily. There are a few private colleges that are land grant colleges, including Cornell, MIT and Tuskegee.

“UCLA is an institution firmly rooted in its land-grant mission of teaching, research and public service.”

Nothing in land-grant missions or the UC mission limits them to serving California residents. If California only wanted to serve its own residents, it wouldn’t belong to educational exchanges like WUE.

Although most states support their flagship campuses through the state budget, most schools are independently governed by a Board of Regents or other commission. They are happy to take the money from the state but don’t want to be controlled. I just learned an interesting fact about the U of Colorado. Many years ago the governor and state legislature were heavily influenced by the KKK and word went to the U of Colorado to get rid of all the minority, Catholic and Jewish professors if they wanted their $$ from the legislature. The president of CU said if that was the price of the legislative funding, they could keep it.

Remember the best, brightest and most interesting students don’t just reside in CA. The UCs, as institutions of higher learning, benefit a great deal having OOS and international students attend their campuses and is one reason the top UCs are highly sought after around the world. We parents with CA students need to understand the game has changed dramatically from 20-25 years ago and those students who have not adapted in the UC college admissions will be left behind.

“You either get bitter or you get better. It’s that simple. You either take what has been dealt to you and allow it to make you a better person, or you allow it to tear you down. The choice does not belong to fate, it belongs to you.” Josh Shipp

Sigh…@Parent90278

Location, Location, Location basically drives lots of things – real estate values, desirability of jobs, pay scales, industries, etc.

I think we already covered the fact that UC-Berkeley and UCLA, and the mid-tier UC’s are world class educational institutions. Yes, people come there to learn - from CA and other states and countries. Like I said, those wanting to major in fields like Computer Science or Film are likely to be interested in schools in CA. Those interested in Wall Street jobs may want to go to school in the northeast and those interested in federal government jobs may want to go to school in DC, VA, or MD, etc.

You live in a desirable state (though I do hear many want out of CA too, due to cost of living, natural disasters, etc.). All students have the right to seek out the best education, and if they are a strong candidate, perhaps they will get into a UC school, just like a kid from CA may get into U-M or UVA or UNC etc. Count your blessings and stop whining and worrying about what you think you’re entitled to.

ETA: well said @socialdad2002

Maybe you should stay in the state you are in. I have tried to be as civil as I can be. Your attitude makes me think you are better than other people and your opinions are more important to others. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I am only asking questions and trying to see how others feel.

Good Evening @Parent90278

I apologize if you feel like everyone here is against you. It could be a case of it’s not what you say it’s how you say it.

I use that loosely though. You aren’t from California (neither am I), but you say stay in your state.

The problem is in your posts, to me, you come off very entitled. In addition it seemed like you lacked the fundamental understanding that the world doesn’t revolve around you and it’s about what’s fair for society.

I understand that when you work hard and raise a family that you want them to have all the opportunities in the world, but that’s what (most) parents want for their kids, you aren’t special.

The world is exclusive due to lack of resources, this means that everyone can’t have everything. I think you are learning a harder lesson than your daughter and she’a the one going off to college.

Yes you might have money, yes you might live in a nice area and have nice things and can afford the best, but money (and materialistic things) don’t make you better than anyone else. Talent will always outperform someone depending on their money to get them through life. Now if you have talent and money…someone like that would be too busy to be up here complaining.

We considered those schools and visited UC Riverside and Santa Cruz. We gave them fair consideration. She just chose another out of state school that was a better fit and lower cost. The school she decided to go to was lower ranked than Santa Cruz so I’m not sure what you are saying makes any sense. That said i think you are a typical example of one of the issues. When talking to one of the admissions advisors he seemed to act very negatively towards the fact that my daughter went to a high preforming school in an affluent area. Almost like he had a sterotype for people like my daughter. I actually grew up poor. My daughter has never felt entitled and has always been the type of person to stick up for others and is very humble. If anything I feel that she doesn’t stick up for herself enough and has allowed herself to be taken advantage of at times. In fact, on our tour of Davis they spoke about how the students are very kind and helpful to others. This is one of the reasons I thought that school was a good fit. If you knew my daughter I don’t think you would have made your comments above.

What was your daughter’s UC-recalculated weighted-capped GPA using the calculation at https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/ ?

@parent90278…what school was that admissions advisor at and how did he act negatively? I also came from a high performing high school in a wealthy area. Glad your daughter is not entitled like you are. Great non-entitled people and programs at UC Riverside…one of the best decisions of my life was attending there. Go Highlanders!

@Corbett You keep mentioning the top 12.5% figure, but it’s no longer correct. It’s now restricted to the top 9% both ways.

As I stated…a lot of students go out of state just to get a change of scenery…or to get away from their parents.

In my opinion, your daughter chose the second option. You are a bit much. I grew up low income (Dad was Navy, Mom had a minimum wage job four kids). I’m a first generation college student, I have a son and I’m an African American who grew up in the south.

At 31 I went to Los Angeles City College and got my AA and then to UCI and received my bachelors in 2017. (Transfer pathway IGETC partially completed 3.8 GPA).

Everybody has their own unique story. The way you talk is as if they didn’t just deny your daughter, but they denied you too. I get the hurt feelings, but your daughter will be fine and you will too. Your attitude and the way that you talk/write (because we write how we talk and talk how we write) is uninformed. Do you know how many first generation college students the UCs crank out every year. Did you speak to any of those parents or just the ones in your circle whose children didn’t get into their “dream” school either.

The University of California system is underfunded, but not broken. As an alumnus of the UC system and not an outsider just giving my two cents, you are overreacting. If my son (who is 9) gets into a UC great for him, but my son’s success won’t be determined based off the school name of his degree either.

@InfoQuestMom Nope, it’s confusing, but it’s still the Top 12.5%. The California Master Plan for Higher Education hasn’t changed.

There are two ways to get guaranteed admission to the UC system: you can be Top 9% in the local context, or Top 9% in the statewide context. But in total, approximately 12.5% of seniors will qualify in one or both contexts.

It works out something like this:

• about 5.5% of seniors are Top 9% locally AND Top 9% statewide. They qualify either way.
  • another 3.5% of seniors are Top 9% locally, but not statewide. They still qualify.
  • another 3.5% of seniors are Top 9% statewide, but not locally. They still qualify.

If you add up those numbers, you will find that 9% of seniors qualify locally, 9% qualify statewide, and a grand total of 12.5% qualify by one way or the other or both.

While I understand that many posters to this thread feel the OP is out of line and “entitled”, there have been several posts similar to what I have quoted above, that frankly are downright rude and out of line. The OP has been told multiple times that they are entitled and should quite the whinning/bemoaning/complaining, enough to make anyone feel defensive. There is no reason to pile on. I am reporting the thred and asking that a moderator close it. Can we all show a smidgen of compassion?

**UC Forum Champion Note: **

I think this thread has run it’s course and there is nothing more to say.

Closing this thread.