Can not figure how they decide

<p>I can not figure how so many foreign students and out of state students got in to the uc system with lower sat and gpas then tax paying Californians with decent gap and sat scores. It used to be that oops had to have higher scores especially when the gpa does not match the sat score</p>

<p>$$$$$$ is the answer. California schools are in need and the OOS and Internationals will provide.</p>

<p>ugh *then. </p>

<p>I realize it is the money. However, now that the state is doing better financially it should not continue. Certainly in a state this large we cover every ethnic and financial group without looking outside. </p>

<p>California is not doing better financially. To maintain the quality of its students, the UC’s should accept those that are qualified and in-state first, but it would do a disservice to society if it chose students based on ethnicity/financial status regardless of academic ability. Those students probably wouldn’t even graduate. There are stats on this somewhere. I understand your frustration though. If this is a point of frustration because you weren’t able to get into the UC you wanted, think of it as a blessing. Plenty of admitted students end up not being cut out for the work and get low grades. Not being accepted spared you from this.</p>

<p>Every UC, save for LA, Berkeley and SD, have at least 75% of its admitted students being California residents. I Saying that “so many foreign students and out of state students got in to the UC system with lower sat and gpas than* tax paying Californians with decent gap and sat scores” is about as stereotypical and untrue as saying “I don’t understand why UCs would accept so many whites and blacks and latinos when clearly Asians have the best academic records.” Once again, 6 of the 9 undergrad UCs have at least 75% California residents, therefore I think it’s safe to say that Californians are still the vast majority in the UC system and that OOS students still represent only a minority of most UCs. Here, see for yourself: <a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/index.html”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/index.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Many public state universities accept 15% oos especially when they are looking for minorities not found in their state. But you find everything in California. My son goes to UCLA and I can not believe how some of the oos kids got in who are in her classes who have lower stats. </p>

<p>Sure I am not talking about merced or riverside</p>

<p>UCs are holistic schools, GPAs and SATs aren’t everything. Some of the students in your son’s class could have won awards or gotten their research papers published in a journal, you can’t simply assume that just because those oos students had lower stats, that they don’t deserve to be in there any less than your son does. UCLA is one of the most prestigious schools in the nation, and I am 110% sure that whoever is admitted into UCLA deserves to be there. It is not fair for you to undermine the qualifications of oos students just because they may have lower stats. After all, how would you feel if someone said “Ugh, my son’s stats are so much better than Futurehold’s daughter’s stats, how come she gets to attend the same school as my child, even though she has lower stats?”</p>

<p>Actually some oos students are not full pay, they receive grants from UC and can get snippy when they don’t think they are getting their due.</p>

<p><a href=“Financial Aid Situation - University of California - Los Angeles - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-los-angeles/1629339-financial-aid-situation-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Often people say that low stat students had something special about them, like a published research paper as you mentioned. That’s more of a rumor than anything actually true. I know some OOS and low stat students here, and they’re pretty unremarkable in terms of extracurriculars. </p>

<p>If you look at the accepted threads the oos and oo country people say if they had anything special. I have had some of these UCLA students stay at my house over breaks and you would be surprised at the academic background of some of the kids.</p>

<p>Futureholds, I hear the same low stats students at every college my kids attend and not just at UCLA. Some of these students had to drop the class and retaking them because they flunk the midterm. So they cannot graduate in the allotted time like 4 years, maybe 6 years. </p>

<p>^Basically what I’ve been trying to tell people who didn’t get in. It’s a blessing in disguise if you end up not being able to handle the workload.</p>