Should I add a book I wrote to my college apps?

I am currently a sophomore in high school and have recently begun writing a non fiction book in my area of interest. I was wondering if I should write this on my college applications when I finish it and if it gets published?

I am greatly enjoying working on it and doing all the research, but I don’t have much for my college apps yet and I want to get into a good school so I was wondering if this would be something they would want to see?

You can get into a great school even without activities.

If this is a true thing and you could validate then yes.

If your book is accepted/published by a reputable publishing house then yes.

If you pay to self-publish then no.

1 Like

Don’t mention writing the book unless it is published by a legitimate publisher/not self-published. But what I would recommend is that you start breaking out smaller pieces from the larger project and preparing them as articles that you submit for publication–this may be your school’s newspaper, a local newspaper or magazine, or something larger scale like a national publication. That way, you have publications and something tangible to show for the time you are devoting to the project. You may also consider joining local or online writing workshops and classes to get feedback and help with developing articles from your research.

1 Like

Adding…as a sophomore you have plenty of time to get involved in activities in your school and/or community and make some meaningful contributions.

If you enjoy writing see if there are outlets for that such as a literary magazine, writing features for a newspaper etc.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.