Should I become a nurse practitioner?

I kept switching majors. I’m 21 and time is ticking. Both my parents (divorced) have nursing licenses. My mom never pressured me to be a nurse because she knows that it’s a lot. My dad however, wants me to get a Master’s in Nursing to open up my own clinic. I know a thing or two about health but math is my weakest subject. I told him would take it step by step. But he keeps insisting that I do it till I have an MSN, when I’m not sure if I even like the medical field. His friends keep saying that being a nurse practitioner is just greeting the patient and writing a prescription.

My heart is in music and acting but I don’t want to be that starving artist that everyone calls a loser.Yet, at the same time, I don’t want to keep putting my dream to the side while I play it safe. So I considered doing LPN so that I can make a living while I pursue my dream, only to find out through word of mouth that LPN’s don’t get hired in Florida that much.

The RN program is super competitive and based on GPA to get in at my college.
Should I just get my RN first to see if I like it? Are there any nurse practitioners who love what they do who can tell me?

Your heart is not into nursing so you have no interest other than pleasing your parents.
This will end up poorly.
Opening your own clinic…your dad makes a big leap from having a daughter not interested in nursing to owning a clinic…don’t follow their dreams, follow yours…

Well I want an in demand job. I have passion but lack structure. Being creative but unorganized is my weakness.

You might look for a degree that will give you a stable day job, while you enjoy your interests part-time and hope to eventually make it full time.

However, as others have noted, you won’t make it through the nursing program and get certified unless your heart is really in it. Also, entry into nurse practioner programs are highly competitive and require years of experience in most cases before you are likely to be admitted. A person should only become a RN if they would be satisfied being a RN.

I’d make an appointment to talk to your college’s career counseling about alternatives, based upon your interests and abilities. Ideally, you would find a degree that would make best use of the past coursework. Keep in mind that many people work in jobs that are not directly related to their degrees, but the degree should still give you a foundation for that job. Many employers want to see that you have completed a degree, even if it is an associates degree.

Many fields do not require advanced math.