Should I do the IBDP?

<p>I'm 18 this year, and I have been studying A Levels privately throughout the year. I am almost done, too. However, universities in the U.S. are concerned regarding ECAs and mine are not too stellar. When I was in school, I was the captain of the soccer team (Female football team.) and I joined societies like MUN, St. John's and the Performing Arts Club, but I did not really initiate having positions of any sort. I decided to quit school when I was 16, and I took a year off before studying for my A Levels. I also managed a store filled with medical equipment (Yes, I was a manager at the age of 17...) for 6 months and worked at a smoothie bar for a few months. I am finishing my A Levels soon, but I'd have to stay back in my country until I'm nearly 20 - seeing as I have to learn German for a year and I'd be too late to apply for next year's intake anyhow. </p>

<p>So, should I do the IBDP at the age of 18+ (After doing A Levels) and graduate at the age of 20+? It would probably increase my chances of getting into places like MIT, UCLA, Georgetown and Princeton (As well as getting a full scholarship from a local agency. Yes, I am aware it's extremely difficult to get a place in any of the top schools...). Is it worth the extra year? I do have stellar recommendation letters, though - regardless of whether I do the IB or not. It's just my ECAs, and the lack of community service (CAS would help this, and community service is a passion of mine..). If my major matters, I'd like to do Linguistics + Anthropology, Neuroscience, International Relations or Political Science (Honestly, SFS would be one of my main choices!).</p>

<p>As an international student the IBDP is really important for you. Colleges in the U.S (especially top tier) look at your scores to evaluate your education, and having the IBD will significantly increase your chances. As long as you have good A-Level scores you should still be competitive though. Definitely emphasize the work experience, such as the managerial position. If you build up some more experience/qualifications as you do your diploma or over the next year, your chances will improve.
Something to consider, is applying before you do the IBDP and seeing if you get into your choices. If you do, great! If not then you can finish the IBDP and apply again.</p>

<p>@Dedalussayshi: Thank you! So, it’s worth doing the IBDP for an extra year - just to boost my ECAs and learn another foreign language besides German? Alright. :slight_smile: Would I be a competitive candidate, despite being 20+ by the time I complete the IBDP (With A Levels.)? I’ll try the 2nd option after finishing my SATs and a few SAT Subject Tests. :)</p>

<p>Age shouldn’t be a factor, in fact it will only give you a leg up if you showcase how you spent your extra time (i.e working, self-studying). I don’t know why you didn’t continue to go to school, but if you have a good story that will help. Also detail how you spent the gap year after you left. In general as long as you show you took the extra time to grow as a person, and that it wasn’t wasted time, then your time off will help you rather than hinder you. (Keep in mind I’m not an admissions officer, but I’m basing this on some research regarding gap years and what a few other threads on this forum say.)
The school’s you mentioned are rather difficult to get into, and as an International student you will have a few more hurdles to jump. Keeping this in mind make sure you do well on your A-Levels and possibly your IBDP. No pressure :)</p>

<p>Hmmm, I did spend my gap year doing productive things. I do have a solid story behind quitting, it’s a really complicated one. Okay then. I also have ten Coursera and edX certificates, are those certificates of any use? Definitely wasted a month or two, but I spent the balance of it doing things. I’m not applying to those schools for the sake of the prestige attached - I’m actually genuinely passionate about the subjects I wish to explore. Alright, how much should I get for my SAT Reasoning Test if I’m aiming for SFS? Thanks.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I’m not sure if colleges take Coursera/edX certificates, it’s just an area I have no knowledge about. (A quick google search showed that it is expanding, and that more colleges are accepting the certificates, but I’m not sure about highly selective and top tier colleges)</p></li>
<li><p>I’m unclear what you mean by SFS, do you mean: School for Field Studies? Then you need a GPA of 2.8 or higher, but it doesn’t mention SAT scores. In general the higher the SAT scores the better, the schools you mentioned are highly competitive, and you’ve probably seen there average stats, try to significantly better than those. (as in 100+ points) This will increase your chances but by no means guarantee your success. </p></li>
<li><p>When you right about your gap year, gloss over the two months and focus on how you changed/improved as a person. Also talk about what you accomplished and learned during your time. Emphasis how you self studied for your A levels and that should help as well.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>1) I’m pretty sure most colleges do not give credit for edX and Coursera certificates. Just wondering whether it would be a good thing to display during my application?</p>

<p>2) Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University. Sorry for not being clear earlier. </p>

<p>3) Hmm, alright. Thank you! :)</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Definitely include it as course work, it only makes you look better. </p></li>
<li><p>Np, Here is a link that should answer your questions:
[Student</a> Profile - Office of Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/firstyear/studentprofile/]Student”>http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/firstyear/studentprofile/)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Indeed, thank you! :)</p>