Should I double major, minor or stick with clubs and sports?

<p>I'm about to begin my college prerequisites for nursing I plan to work up to masters of science and become a nurse practitioner. specifically a pediatric endocrinology nurse. I'll be starting at a community college mainly because financially it's more affordable(I'm a young mom). However I don't know what will serve me better in both my career and when it comes to getting into nursing school; I have a huge interest in philosophy and I wasn't sure if the work of a double major or a minor in philosophy would benefit me and if so which? Or if it would be wasted time and being part of clubs and sports would be more to my benefit. Like I said I have a son so my time is very hard to manage so I want to make sure I'm not going to take loads of homework and time away from him and not have it be worth it in the end</p>

<p>Sent from my iPhone using [URL=<a href="http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1%5DTapatalk%5B/URL"&gt;http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>With a nursing curriculum, I don’t see where a double major is even possible. This is because the last two years of nursing school are completely filled with nursing classes and clinicals, while an additional major would require taking upper level classes during this time. Since the last two years of nursing school are full, one has to take any general education requirements of the college in the first two years, along with all prerequisites. </p>

<p>Honestly, as a mother myself, I personally think one major in addition to caring for a child is plenty. You grades in your prerequisite classes will count much more than a philosophy minor- so putting your effort and time into them will be a good investment, as well as some volunteer experience in the medical field. Some nursing schools require classes like psychology and nutrition. I think these prerequisites and activities in addition to any general education classes required by the college leave little room for a minor in anything else.</p>

<p>Agreed - a major or minor in philosophy will not help you in nursing admissions or a nursing career. As part of your bachelors, you will have a couple (but not many) electives, and you can choose to take philosophy. </p>

<p>I think taking Spanish for your electives is the best choice for most students.</p>