Should I retake the ACT to get a higher math and essay score?

I am a rising senior in the US and have taken the ACT twice. Currently, I have a superscore of 35 (36 english, 36 reading, 35 science, 31 math, 7 essay). Although I am happy with this score, I am worried the math and essay scores may hurt my chances of admission at highly competitve universities. I plan on majoring in econmics, and considering econ is a math heavy major, I’m worried a 31 won’t cut it. Its also worth noting on one of my attempts I scored a 28 in math. Beyond math I’m also worried my essay score will hurt me. When I first took the ACT I accidentaly signed up for the essay and, lacking preparation, I scored a 7. I realize the essay is less important than it used to be, but is it worth retaking the test for a higher essay score? For context, I plan on applying to several T20 schools including Georgetown, Dartmouth, and Yale.

Thank you

1 Like

Does any college look at the essay? SAT has discontinued it altogether. Apparently only 5 colleges require it in the whole country (none of which you are likely to be interested in), so unless you are applying to West Point, it literally doesn’t matter for highly competitive schools.
It certainly isn’t going to make a difference between admittance and rejection. You’re done. Do something better with that time.

I would not retake either, I don’t think there are many schools that care about the essay score, and you likely have more important things to do with that time you would spend prepping.

Do note that for Georgetown you will have to report all your ACT/SAT scores as they do not offer score choice, so they will see the 28 Math, and your entire testing history.

2 Likes

The essay is not relevant as said. I personally would retake for math if and only if you are applying to any schools that don’t superscore.

With a 35 you’ll be fine.

At the top schools, you’ll still be ahead of the curve test wise whereas many won’t submit a score. So it will be a question as to whether the rest of your app will stand up.

Good luck.

1 Like

Your concern regarding your math score is valid. Any concern regarding the essay score is not valid.

Before addressing the issue as to whether or not a retake is recommended, I would like to know all of your scores from both sittings.

Without more information, I think that you do not need to retake the ACT.

If, however, you are considering applying to an engineering or other math dependent degree program,then it might be worth retaking if you have no other indication of a superior ability in math.

Following this thread as son has a similar question. Has a superscore ACT of 34 (M 34, E 31, S 36 and R 34). Based on 3 tests.

Is it worth taking again for English? He did well on mock tests in English. For the majority of places he is applying it won’t matter. However for his reachy ED options (U Miami or Tulane) is it worth it?

Did well in English freshman and sophomore year but not junior year after transferring. AP English score of 4. Major physics, chemistry or undecided. Thanks

I would say no. It never hurts. But he’s at 33.75 - so he’d have to go up 3 points total to get to 34.5 which you could then claim 35. His math and science are more important here.

Depending on his GPA - if it correlates with the ACT - he will get into Miami with a $25K grant based on last year.

Tulane, is more - did you apply ED or kiss their rear ends…and make sure you do the why Tulane essay, and make it unique.

Thanks @tsbna44 . He would love to go to Miami or Tulane (he just signed up for an interview).

Unfortunately, his overall GPA doesn’t correlate due to a junior year drop (transfer to a prep school though his public school was also competitive, overwhelmed/depressed, COVId) and thus shows downward trend (3.9, 3.8, 3.0). Hoping to have a strong first senior semester.

He is obviously applying to many other more realistic schools (SMU, IU, Miami OH, u of aZ, U of Alabama) but the other two are his “dream” schools and so wants to maximize what little is left under his control.

1 Like

Smart - I’ve seen a lot of people talk about downward trends so maybe that could be overcome.

Has he been to either to know it’s a dream? My daughter, for example, thought Tulane was a dump - and had high hopes going in - whereas she thought Emory was gorgeous.

I’d say both those are probably out - but worth trying. The thing is - make sure your kid doesn’t fall in love with every school. And let’s say they get in, can you afford it or moreso do you want to afford it? Those are 75K a year + and it’s always more than they say - unless, of course you qualify for aid.

IU, Miami, AZ and Bama are all easy and great schools. AZ and Bama are both gorgeous. IU is very nice and if you like being in the middle of nowhere but not that far from society, Miami (Ohio) is really really nice.

I think he’s a winner with any of those schools.

So his list seems great - just don’t fall in love with any. Did he look at Denver?

And don’t forget your state flagship if it’s not one you listed.

To be honest, I don’t think any is a “dream”. Son doesn’t seem as motivated or looking ahead as many of the other people posting.

But let’s say it’s a strong preference based on location, weather (hurricanes and floods aside), perceived “fun” and probably reputation. Flagship is great (Binghamton) but cold!

So compromises might be FSU (if he gets in and it’s not a given, he may get an OOS waiver - and it’s cheap before then), U of SC, Arizona, and while it’s more rural - Alabama. You may look at College of Charleston too - and he’ll get merit.

You have AZ and Bama already on your list - but Miami and Indiana are not warm.

These schools attract tons from the NE, have great merit, and better weather.

Elon is another (not good merit, but good tuition) but it’s sort of in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I was looking at U SC last night but it seemed pretty competitive given the non- stellar GPA.

U of SC has gotten much more competitive - but it’s a school many from the NE like. It’s not an impossibility. Charleston will be closer to a Tulane and Miami - except it’s in the city whereas neither of those are not - and it’ll be an easy in.

1 Like

Thank you for the response, after reviewing other responses I’ve decided that if I do retake I won’t retake the essay.

On my first attempt I scored a 33 composite: 35 english, 35 reading, 31 science, 31 math.
On my second attempt I scored a 34 composite: 36 english, 36 reading, 35 science, 28 math.

The only other indication I have of math ability is in my transcript. Notably, I got an A+ in Geometry an A in Algebra II, and A+ in Math Analysis, and an A in AP Calculus (my AP score was a 3 so not high enough to be worth reporting). Although these are all high grades math is the only subject (with the exception of chemistry) in which I scored below an A+, so its clear in both my testing and transcript that math is my worst subject and although I have several finance awards that indicate some math ability, I wouldn’t say I have anything to indicate superior ability. The only STEM major I am considering applying to is economics. I assume it varies by program but since economics is definitely a math dependent discipline based on what I’ve said would you recommend a retake?

With all As or A+sin math, there is no need to retake the ACT, in my opinion.

Don’t retake the ACT, and do report the AP score of 3 to any school that would give credit or advanced placement for that score. If no credit/placement don’t report it.