Should I submit test scores?

Hello! I have just finished my first semester of college and am applying to GWU for the fall of 2019. I am aware they are test optional, but I was wondering if I should still send in my test scores? I have a 610 in math and 690 in English/writing. I only took them once at the end of my junior year in high school. I know the 690 isn’t too bad but the 610 is definitely below average. Originally I just wasn’t going to submit test scores since it’s optional and I’m transferring but after doing research I’m seeing that you should submit test scores unless you can’t afford to take standardized testing. Another layer of confusion is I emailed an admissions counselor back in the fall who told me they don’t accept test scores from transfers altogether when the website says you can? I mean, 1300 isn’t bad but I know if I had taken it again I probably could have done better. I just didn’t think it was worth the money especially since my grades are good, I have decent ECs and couldn’t find a good time in my schedule this past semester to do so.

tl;dr I have a 1300 SAT and applying for Fall 2019 as a sophomore transfer, should I bother sending in my scores?

I would say your SAT score is good: both the individual section scores and composite scores. Both of your individual section scores are definitely within George Washington’s middle 80 % SAT bell curve and on the upper of it at that. However, I don’t think it would hurt to try again…what are your goals? Is George Washington the highest ranking school you are applying to? The middle 80% for Georgetown, for example, is 1320-1520 so you’re pretty close to a 1320. Also, what ethnic background are you from? It’s hard to give you substantive advice without more information but I would personally try to take the SAT 1-2 more times and specifically focus on the math. If you can’t score higher after 2 more attempts I would just move on and apply. You can definitely study for standardized test’s despite common consensus towards standardized testing. I’ve known quite a few people who started out with average scores but made it past the 2000 barrier (old test).

If the rest of your application is stronger, and you don’t feel your SAT helps your application, you can omit. If you feel your application would be helped with the SAT, include it.

@Govegan1995 I’m a white female. George Washington is probably my most competitive one, although I noticed transfer admissions they let in about 50% compared to the first year 30%. I’m applying to few liberal arts colleges that are about the same first year acceptance but lower transfer since they’re smaller and they’re all test optional. I have a 4.0 gpa both high school and one semester of college. I’m applying as a Geography or Environmental Studies major I’ve decided. I might try again since SATs are held again in March and GWU isn’t due until April but I was hoping to wrap up all my applications by March 1st.

@Dogsshouldvote So you will be applying two semesters after high school? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t worry about retaking the SAT since you have a perfect GPA. Unless you really like standardization, and perhaps just want to show off to other academics, I wouldn’t retake the test. Higher scores are always better, but realistically aren’t necessary in this context since your stats are above average. I applied to GW and got in with a 3.5 gpa from community college at 1560/2400. My SAT scores definitely weren’t there…but that was taking the SAT cold with no prep. I actually studied for the GRE for 2 months and got a decent score of 315/340 so in my experience you can definitely improve on standardized tests with correct prep materials. The skills you learn in some high school math classes, for example, are not really transferable to the set of skills you need to do to well on the mathematics portion of the SAT. If you do a lot of research, and hours of practice you’ll see there’s tons of shortcuts like for example if you have a square and two diagonals running through the square you can actually find the area of the square without necessarily knowing the lengths of the square’s sides if you multiply both diagonals and divide by 2.

If you have a 4.0 in both high school and college I wouldn’t worry about the SAT at all. Unless there’s something glaringly wrong with your app I think you have a great shot at getting accepted.

Good luck!