Should I take AP Bio or Honors Human Anatomy/Physiology?

<p>I'm in high school and I don't know if i should take AP bio or human anatomy/physiology my senior year. I want to be a nurse so which class would be better? Thanks guys!</p>

<p>You should take both, and take AP Chem too. If you want to become a Nurse Practitioner, you will want to get into the best undergraduate program; and to compete with other students for the best schools, you will need to show that you took the most rigorous schedule possible. i feel strongly that you should do this for Math too, but some disagree.
You should also search the nursing links for the list of Nursing schools.</p>

<p>Not everyone can handle AP Bio and AP Chem, esp. in one year. Nursing school is very time intensive - you should enjoy high school too.</p>

<p>An AP class will certainly look better on a college application. I think most people would consider bio and anatomy equally important as far as preparation.</p>

<p>you should also think about taking an EMT class (need to be at least 18 though). It would be a good job for your senior year/after HS, and give you even better exposure to the field</p>

<p>My daughter became a city lifeguard. I mention that because they trained her for free - which included CPR training, etc. (It also offers great hours for a teenager - you can sleep in, and also go out with your friends in the evening.)</p>

<p>I went through the same thing my senior year.<br>
From what I’ve heard, most 4 year BSN programs have 2 semesters of chem freshman year, including a mix of bio and organic chem at one point. Let me just say this- I HATED CHEM in high school. It took my genius of a friend tutoring me to get through ap chem. But after this year, I can confidently say that it definitely paid off. I managed to get A’s in both semesters of chem, including bioorganic chemistry where the avg grade was a C. People even asked ME to tutor them, which I found to be amazingly ironic haha.
So I guess my advice would be to take AP chem and anat/phys. Bio in college is mainly concepts that you can learn from memorizing/reading the book. (Sorry if I sound a bit biased…) I know my anat/phys class in high school is the main reason I wanted to be a nurse, and my college anat class didn’t even include a lab (which they usually have in highschool.)</p>

<p>The OP asked this a long time ago, but I had to deal with the same choice a few weeks ago. No room in my schedule to pick more than one science, so I picked A&P. Sometimes I think twice about it but I don’t regret it. Maybe it’ll look bad to a college but I have a full plate as far as a courseload goes and other academic/school obligations, plus I rationalized that a nurse should know about anatomy, and it would make studying it in college a little easier.</p>

<p>I actually think AP chem would be the best if you plan on becoming a nurse! However if that is not an option, AP bio would be the best! Ap classes will better prepare you for college material and possibly get you some college credit or exemption.</p>

<p>Also, make sure to study, study, study the biochem portion of AP biology if that is the course you decide to take! Biochem will help you out tons in nursing school!</p>

<p>I would take honors anatomy and physiology myself. Taking anatomy and physiology is what got me interested in nursing in the first place.</p>

<p>Take both. I took hum anat in 11th grade and AP bio in 12th</p>

<p>Either of those would be beneficial for nursing. Even chemistry as well. However, don’t get worked up if you are unable to take those courses in high school. You’ll learn it all when you get to nursing school. You won’t be taking the same biology and chemistry as say someone on a premed track. It’ll be basic biology and chemistry. The AP classes will be helpful, though. A&P will also be good because you’ll have all of the basics down and it won’t be as overwhelming doing it all in a short period of time. Good luck!</p>

<p>I think AP bio looks better on a transcript, but A&P is definitely a good class to experience. Daughter opted for A&P over bio because she had 4 ap classes already, but she loves anatomy.
(She also is considering nursing)</p>

<p>I currently have a daughter who is a senior in college majoring in nursing and a senior in high school who is also going into nursing. When my older daughter was looking at colleges I was surprised to learn that a lot of them required Physics as well as Biology and Chem. Older daughter didn’t take any AP science classes and got into all programs she applied to. Younger daughter took Chem, Bio, Physics, AP Bio and we’re waiting to hear about her acceptances. Check to see if the nursing schools you’re looking at require Physics. Was even told it was more important than anatomy</p>

<p>Also, both daughters did take Anatomy and Physiology</p>

<p>I’m used to seeing Physics as the standard part of a high school college prep curriculum. One person said it is helpful to understand physics in order to understand the circulatory system. I haven’t seen physics on the list of recommended classes for applicants or on a nursing school curriculum.</p>

<p>Physics more important than A & P? I can’t believe that. </p>

<p>I’m an old nurse so never took Physics, but the most physics I used as a nurse was trying to get multiple IV bags to run into a person all at the same time. </p>

<p>I honestly used more Chem on a regular basis as you titrate drugs, you need to interpret labs, the kidney is all about diffusion, the list is pretty long.</p>

<p>Take Anatomy if you have already taken a biology class in high school.</p>

<p>AP Bio and Anatomy are both important for nursing. What I did was take AP Bio my junior year so I would be free to take Anatomy my senior year. However, if you can’t take both because of work load, I would take Anatomy. Bio’s good and all, but Anatomy, which I’m taking this year, has really encouraged my choice in going into Nursing. Learning about the four vital signs and looking at bones, doing a practice case study, etc just further help me realize that I really do want to be a nurse.</p>