Should I take math HL despite my teacher's recommendations?

HL math is a joy for those that have a math brain answant to learn mathematical proofs. Its a good introduction for potential computer science majors who will be taking discrete math and other higher level math. HL physics is a survey class and not focused on just mechanics. A good student can earn a7/7 on both exams and a middle of the road student will be prepared for college and still get a score of 3 or 4 /7. There is no problem taking these classes together and in fact it will prepare you for a college degree in math, physics, electrical engineering or mathematical CS.

College is much harder than IB class work but at some colleges will be similar to freshman year with more hand holding. Do not shy away from HL classes in high school, if you hope to major in math, physics or engineering in college.

Its your chance to learn proof based mathematics in a small high school classroom with lots of hand holding by a high school math teacher.

@FourYearsornot LOL my son came home from school on Monday and said guess why we got today, the information regarding our HL Math IA! Ugghhh He said the paper has to be 5-6 pages long and his rough draft is due in September. He has to come up with the topic.

I can’t understand why he continues in this class. It’s two years long, as are all his IB classes and he’s isn’t planning to major in physics, math or engineering. He is planning to major in Neuroscience and hopefully be involved with undergraduate research. He just likes the challenge of the course. He has managed to get an A every marking period so I can’t say no and most of his friends are in the class.

As a math HL student sitting my paper 2 exam tomorrow, I advise you to take this class if you want a challenge, and can actually handle getting bad grades despite trying hard. I also had a math teacher that told me not to take math HL, but I took it anyways after passing AP Calculus AB in grade 10. I feel that without taking calculus beforehand, math HL would have been a lot more challenging - keep in mind that my grades in math HL have been the lowest out of all my classes. The material isn’t what you should worry about, it’s the exam questions that are insanely hard. So if you’re not going UK for uni and don’t need those high predicteds/actual exam scores, I say take the class.