Should I transfer from Case Western to University of Miami?

<p>I am a rising Junior at Case Western Reserve University majoring in B.S. Biochemistry and minoring in Psychology. I have a 3.2 GPA but have been showing a upward trend in GPA 2.75, 3.25, 3.0, 3.4. My aspirtations are to get into medical school or get an O.D. Case is a great school for academics but it is extremely focused and feels more like a high school away from home than a college. I dont mind working my ass off at school I would just like to enjoy my downtime much more and have the full college experience for the next to years of my life. I have already gotten in to UM and have to decide extremely soon if it is the right choice to leave Case. Miami is not as highly praised as Case is and I believe could be easier to achieve good grades. If I stay at Case I would need to change to a B.A. because I am a behind and would not be able to graduate on time, but if I transfered to Miami I would be able to continue my B.S. degree. Would I be increasing my chances for medical school if I transferred and showed a boost in GPA at Miami (like a cum of 3.75) while enjoying my college life or should I stick it out for another 2 years and realistically have around a 3.3-3.5 GPA with showing an upward trend?</p>

<p>Raz- Only you can answer the question you are asking. If you truly believe going to Miami would help you achieve your goal then you should make the change. I’m not sure that Miami will be as easy as you think, and I would imagine that there are more distractions in Miami than in Cleveland. Back in the day when I went to the U it was supposedly more of a party school than it is today. I don’t think it was that bad even then- I remember studying Sunday-Wednesday. Thursday through Saturday were the fun days. Unless I had a test- then Thursday was not so fun. </p>

<p>Sometimes a change of venue is needed to regroup and go forward, but I think you need to be realistic- you are not going to pull a 4.0 and barely break a sweat at UMiami. </p>

<p>You need to make sure your parents are on board if you are depending on your family for financial and moral support.</p>

<p>I recommend speaking with some students at the U first. A lot is said about UMiami but the reality is that they every year they are attracting more are more top students with their merit scholarships so you will find a large number of serious students there. Another thing to consider is that sciences in general are UM strongest point. This summer some of my son’s high school’s grads came back to the U do summer Orgo. Most from top 20 school. The majority barely passed with a C and 2 got incomplete. My friend whose daughter is at the U and also went to the same high school end up with a B+. Move because you want to move and you think you will love the U not because you think it will be an easy ride.</p>