Should I Transfer to Hampshire from Northeastern?

So I basically went to Northeastern on a whim because I wound up getting a lot more financial aid that expected, and my mom works at Hampshire so I knew if I wanted to transfer there I could go there for free. The Northeastern thing seemed like an opportunity that I wouldn’t necessarily get again so I went to see what it would be like- it’s in Boston, it has a super high retention rate, most people who go there love it, it has crazy good career resources, what could I lose?
Well, I’m having a lot of problems here. My job and classwork are taking up so much time that I can barely work on independent projects, the singing and theater groups are so competitive that I’m barely doing any acting or singing which I love to do, and honestly the whole career-oriented structure is bothering me. I get that the co-op system is amazing and most people who go here get really solid jobs and have perfectly happy lives yay but I hate thinking about living my life as an upper-middle class person settled into a nice little career. I don’t know… I just have bigger dreams than that I guess? (I want to go into animation and film-making.) And I’m not saying that Northeastern is restricting those dreams in any way but it doesn’t feel like it’s helping them either- I want to do something NOW, I want to get started making short films and building a portfolio and I also want more room to explore other things I’m interested in.
I realize my dreams are pretty irrational and I will probably wind up in a job I don’t love and Northeastern is the more rational choice overall, but something just doesn’t feel right. It’s more like I FEEL restricted by its structure, not that I actually AM restricted. Honestly part of me just wants to drop out of college and go on a journey to find myself and make shitty art and die at 38. Maybe I just really, really don’t want to be rational right now. I just want to feel freer. Plus not be in any debt.
I’ve already applied to transfer to Hampshire next semester but I have some time to decide if I’m actually going to go there. I have some issues with Hampshire (I’m not really an activist, I’m honestly not sure if I’d do well overall with little structure, I live 10 minutes away) but it seems like it has everything I want. I’d love to hear what people have to say. Thaaanks.

IF YOU DON’T WANT TO READ ALL THAT: I’m going to a typical college (Northeastern) but deep down I am a starving artist with irrational dreams and I think I want to transfer to Hampshire but I don’t know if I should because Northeastern has a lot of job resources thoughts please thank you

With you mom working at Hampshire would you get free or reduced tuition? If not would you need a lot of financial aid?

Are you a freshman or sophomore?

I would get free tuition. Living on campus would still cost money but I could easily live at home. And yeah I would definitely need a lot of financial aid if I didn’t get free tuition there, I got a lot of financial aid from Northeastern so that’s why I could go here. We saved up enough for the year but after this year I’d need to take out loans or borrow money from extended family. And I’m a freshman.

It sounds like you want to go to Hampshire. Given that it’s affordable, go for it.

I say go for it. Make a movie, sing and act.

Your whole story sounds like “Northeastern, I’m just not that into you.”

Take your time at Hampshire. Make use of the 5 college consortium when you need to get away. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Also, check out the “48 hour film project”–Boston is good for that at least!

Hampshire sounds much more “you.” For what its worth, my son is not an activist either. The nonstop activism gets on his nerves, but for the most part - barring one social science class with a very uncomfortable atmosphere - he tunes it out and does his own thing.

Northeastern and the coop program are great for some, but it does not suit everyone. It’s a particular type of program and if you feel it’s not going to work for you, you shouldn’t feel like you are missing out on an opportunity. If it’s not an opportunity you want, it’s not a good opportunity