SIR to 2 UC School

<p>So I was accepted to UC Berkeley and UC Irvine and im now caught in a slight dillema. UC Berkeley requires atleast a 3.0 u/w or your pretty much getting revoked no matter what (appealing is almost impossible to reverse from what I have read). Im taking 5 AP classes and currently do have a 3.0 u/w with an A in AP calc, B+ in AP bio/AP Lit/ AP Econ, and a C in physics B which I might not be able to bring up. Our grading period for these ap classes is set to end in about 2-3 weeks since our grades don’t change much after the AP test. Although the change in my grades has only been drastic in AP physics, im currently super scared of falling under a 3.0 u/w.</p>

<p>Im not sure if this is allowed and it is something that I was hoping I could get an answer for and want to make sure is allowed since my counselor has stated the situation as being allowed. I was given advice to SIR to UC Berkeley and UCI and wait for my grades to be finalized and accordingly cancel the SIR to the school’s conditions of agreement I dont meet. Berkeley has always been my dream school, but I am afraid that if I only SIR to uc berkeley and something goes wrong during finals and I do fall under a 3.0, I would have to go to cc and lose my gates millenium scholarship.</p>

<p>I SIRed to two UCs and received a letter about it. They made me send a letter to both schools stating that I had SIRed to two schools and which one I truly intended to register at (and this was even after I cancelled the SIR at the first school.) I’m not sure if I was at any risk of being rescinded by either school, but I personally would advise you not to risk it.</p>

<p>What ended up happening? Sounds like it was up to the individual UC school to decide what to do. If you don’t mind me asking, what UC schools were they that you had to send the letter to?</p>

<p>I sent my SIR to UC San Diego first, then sent my second one to UC Davis. There was a one or two week period after May 1st that I was committed to both schools, but I cancelled the UCSD SIR before I received the letter.</p>

<p>I sent a letter to both schools saying I planned to attend UC Davis. I never heard anything else about it. I don’t know what usually ends up happening. Maybe my situation was the norm, or maybe I got extremely lucky. That’s why I say I wouldn’t risk it even though I ended up fine. My advice would be to talk to each of your teachers and figure out how to get your grades where they need to be.</p>

<p>I just received an email from berkeley saying this and this is the kind of stuff that is confusing me even more about being allowed to double sir to uc campuses or not:</p>

<p>"The deadline to submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) is May 1, and we don’t want you to miss your opportunity to attend the world’s premier public university.</p>

<p>Sameer, only 1 out of every 5 students who applied to UC Berkeley was selected to attend…and you were one of them. That speaks to your outstanding abilities, and why we believe you would thrive at Cal, strolling on Sproul Plaza, rooting for the Bears, studying with Nobel Prizewinning faculty, and making lifelong friends. </p>

<p>Still not sure? Please SIR anyway - save your spot on campus, even if you change your mind later."</p>

<p>Even though it states on the UC website explicitly saying: “You may accept admission to one campus only.”</p>

<p>I would suggest that you’ve got a completely ambiguous situation regarding SIRs. I spoke with an Admissions Officer back East yesterday who was talking about a student with two SIRs–one at another private and one at a UC. I said, “Aren’t you only supposed to SIR to ONE school?” His casual response, “They don’t know.” Obviously, one system such as UC CAN track multiple SIRs, but the larger issue is, deal with the teachers and grades. You received a gift of UCB that tens of thousands did not, including my son, who would have been the fourth of three generations of Golden Bears. He’s fine; mum is still upset. Don’t squander it.</p>

<p>I’ve heard around the UC transfer forum that submitting an SIR to two different schools would result in the cancellation of your admission. If you’re thinking that you’re going to be borderline anyways, I would absolutely not risk it! If I were you, I would go ahead and SIR to Berkeley only so you don’t miss the deadline. Keep your grades up and do whatever necessary to have them remain that way, whether that means seeking tutoring or extra help with the teacher. If worse comes to absolute worse, even if you did end up at a CC, you could TAG with CAL and would probably save more money taking that route than you would’ve received from the Gates Scholarship anyway. Just my two cents. I hope that you do keep your grades up and make it in though! Good luck to you, OP! :)</p>

<p>Hey…I just signed two SIR to two different schools, because I really couldn’t make up my mind. Do you guys think I should call one and cancel it? One is a private school on the east coast, and the other one is UC Irvine. I’m an international student btw.
really need someone to give me advice. I think I made the mistake but it’s too late to turn back.</p>

<p>What if you submit your acceptance fee to an out of state school and submit your SIR to a UC school? They’re not in the same system so does it matter? o.O</p>

<p>My mom keeps asking because I already sent the acceptance fee to my out of state college but she wants another just for back-up in something “happens”.</p>

<p>I believe that chances are that as long as you don’t double SIR to two UC schools, you should be completely fine. </p>

<p>I ended up SIRing to only Berkeley and so far things are looking like they will work out just fine in terms of meeting my COA (brought up my C to a B- and my A- to an A)</p>

<p>I was at a UCI admitted students conference and they said if you submit two SIRs to two UCs, they cancel one another. So, you are left without a school.
Don’t do it.</p>

<p>I got clarification about this … UCOP runs a report across the system that catches students who submitted multiple SIRs. The information is made available to the UC campuses, but it’s up to the campuses to decide whether to take action. Most of the time, you’ll get a letter or email saying “where exactly do you expect to go” and you have a certain amount of time to respond. As long as you respond and make a choice, you are fine. If the UCs don’t hear back from you, then the SIRs get cancelled.</p>

<p>I submitted a SIR to both Santa Barbara and Irvine and afterwards contacted both schools plus UCOP about it (both by email and phone, so a total of 5 different exchanges) and was told various contradicting answers.</p>

<p>I ended up canceling my SIR to SB this morning though, because I did not want to risk being revoked from both. I also contacted Irvine to let them know that once my SIR from SB is withdrawn, Irvine will be the only school I’ll have a SIR for.</p>

<p>Is there any kind of official documentation I need to send to UCOP or Irvine? I would ask them, but to put it kindly, neither of them (nor SB) were nearly as helpful as I would have assumed.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC Evo 3D using CC</p>

<p>I’m amazed at the audacity of those who try to game the system.</p>

<p>When it says the letter needs to be in writing, we can type it right?
I don’t know what to say</p>