SJSU Class of 2026 - Regular Decision

Unfortunately, students that have applied or newly admitted students cannot change their major prior to or during orientation, and must first earn an SJSU GPA during their first semester before being considered for the change of major request. Students will also need to attend orientation with the college housing their admitted major. At orientation, however, students with an interest in changing their major will have an opportunity to let their orientation advisors know this information. This information will be taken into consideration when advising students for their first semester.

2 Likes

They just updated impaction points for fall 2022

5 Likes

Amazeballs. S22 applied for SE and I think his Impaction Index is ~5100 so I assume he is an admit. Alternately, if he had applied CS, he would have been right on the dot at 3480.

It’s clear competition is way up this year. You need 4.35 CSU GPA to get into CS (or) 4.10 if you are from Santa Clara county. And the impaction index for SE went from 4200 to 4920.

Similar big increases for CompE, and ME. Wow!

Good luck everyone!

I’m sorry, I don’t understand what an impaction score is. My daughter’s major that she applied to by accident is 3120. The major she wanted is 4500. What does this mean?

They explain compaction here

2 Likes

Assuming she applied to ChemE, she needs a total of 3120. You can calculate her engineering impaction score as: CSU GPA x 800 + Math GPA x 400 + bonus points for santa clara county residents/low-income etc. Since major changes are not allowed, her admission at this point will depend on whether her impaction points meet the 3120 threshold. If her index exceeds the ME threshold of 4500, may be you can ask them if a major change is allowed.

p.s - You can find the CSU GPA on the Cal Apply portal under the A-G matching page.

1 Like

The major she wants is harder than the major she accidentally applied to. Follow these steps:

1. Take her CSU GPA and multiply it by 800 (for example, 4.10 x 800 = 3280)

2. If she is from Santa Clara county add 200; if not, do nothing (let’s assume she is)

3. If she is applying to engineering major, take the math classes GPA in 10th and 11th grade and multiply it by 400 (for example, 4.0 x 400 = 1600)

4. Add them all up: 3280+200+1600= 5080.

In this scenario, her impaction score is 5080, which will get her into the hardest majors such as CS and Software Engineering.

2 Likes

Thank you!
Another question!
What does this mean:
^This major did not have additional capacity to admit applicants as alternate majors.

Does it mean that i am guaranteed to be admitted if my impact number meets the threshold ?

When you apply, they let you choose 2 majors, main major and an alternate major. If you are not qualified for main major but qualified for alternate one. You are offered admission with alternate major. But you can’t choose the ones as capacity as alternate major because they are too popular and not even have enough seats as a main major.

4 Likes

Yes, I believe so. Donno if you need to meet or exceed but @Gumbymom or someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

1 Like

If you are at or above the impaction threshold, you should be guaranteed admission for your major.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am above the threshold of CS major.

1 Like

The major my daughter didn’t intend on choosing is below her score. The major she wanted is above. She is touring SJ today. If she loves it should she go in with this major she didn’t want and overlap the classes that are for the major she wanted (there are at least one semesters worth)? And then hope and pray she can switch in Spring 23? What do you think?

Any idea when the decisions come out?

Does CSU Poly Pomona or SLO publish these impaction points?

It really depends upon which major she wants to change into at SJSU. Since all majors are impacted, it might prove to be difficult to switch later. If you plan to visit, I would talk with an advisor to see if the change is possible before committing.

1 Like

SLO and CPP do not use impaction thresholds like SJSU and they do not publish their criteria other than Freshman profile stats such as admitted GPA after the decisions are made and students enrolled.

1 Like

Portal updated for S22 with his admission decision. Shows Conditional Admit - Self Report.

2 Likes

Scary 
 Does this mean alternate choice is not considered?

Consideration for admission to alternate major:

The capacity to admit applicants to their alternate major is still being evaluated. This page will be updated in with alternate major admission information in the coming weeks.

SJSU admits applicants to their alternate major only if there is additional capacity beyond those admitted as a primary major. This means that you might meet the threshold for your alternate major, but because there is no additional enrollment capacity to admit applicants to alternate majors, your application was withdrawn as unaccommodated.