Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Have you checked all of these for the FL.

From the Clark website:

“Students also have the option of studying other languages at colleges in the Worcester area through the Higher Education Consortium of Central Massachusetts.”

Also, the school doesn’t have a FL requirement.

Does your daughter want to continue to study this language, or minimize time spent taking a FL in college?

1 Like

This student has a 3.95 unweighted GPA…which is nearly perfect. I think that is pretty near the top.

I think she has a great gpa, but when I looked at the test scores for Dickinson it looked more like a strong match and not a safety. I seem to remember a 1400 SAT, but I don’t know for sure. This places her at about the 75th percentile at Dickinson, which imo might not be high enough for the top merit awards. She might ? Get some merit, but will it be one of the top awards?

I don’t know where I got the 1400 from- maybe it was a predicted score? I don’t have experience with merit at TO schools, but many do and have received.

I think she should definitely apply to Dickinson, just be aware that getting enough merit might be questionable. I believe she will be accepted, but that’s not the only hurdle here.

1 Like

Great! We are also planning to visit it soon.

I have heard that Yeshiva offers great merit for non-orthodox kids because they want diversity in their Jewish student body. The question is whether your D will be comfortable around them…
I do not think their gen. ed. Jewish classes require prior knowledge.

1 Like

Has this student taken any standardized tests? Is she considering TO (not saying she should)?

There are students with high gpa’s like this student, who have gotten merit as TO. That might be something to look at….if TO is being considered.

I don’t know if Yeshiva University will be affordable. I do think some of the publics could be affordable (C of C etc) and are outstanding schools.

In the OP, they said they were hoping for an SAT around 1400. I don’t recall if it was ever taken or not.

Minimize. She is bilingual.

Not taken yet. June will be first attempt. Could not get early. Was very sick on school SAT day and May had conlict with exams… So she can have at most 3 attempts June, August and October.

Again, Yeshiva is for kids who attended Jewish private. There is no way they will take a kid from public with not enough knowledge. She will not be able to pass any Jewish required class. Do you also know that boys and girls are in different schools? Not applying.

Then Clark may work since as thumper said, it doesn’t require a foreign language.

Then Clark would work. It seems they don’t require a foreign language to graduate.

There were a couple of schools upstream that don’t require a foreign language course to graduate. Other courses can be used instead.

If she is already bilingual, at least one school suggested upstream would allow her to place out if she is fluent in an additional language to English.

Lots of options.

5 Likes

I’m going to throw out one that’s 13 hours away - and yes, it’s too far.

SIU - in Carbondale Illinois.

Mid Size. Has a medical school - so affiliated - the main one is in the capital Springfield but offers classes in Carbondale too.

Has no OOS tuition - everyone is in - state.

Has a Jewish population - worth a call to Hillel.

It’s not in your zone - a little outside - but again, you need schools you know can work. The Dickenson’s of the world - will work if you get the aid you need - but you are unlikely to get that aid. So they’re a must apply - but a likely pushing you to UMD type school.

MEDPREP Curriculum | SIU School of Medicine (siumed.edu)

I doubt it. Do not forget that school is not that big. There are separate schools for men and women(two different campuses). For all orthodox kids exist only two colleges: Touro and Yeshiva. Every major city has at least one big private. All these kids compete for same spots. Plus my daughter absolutely does not belong there.

2 Likes

I think once a test score is obtained they could plan the best strategy for merit. Merit is out there if she applies wisely.

I think this student should apply to schools on her “love list,” because not doing so will always make her wonder…but I also think a budget needs to be firmly discussed. Affordability is the big hurdle here.

I think there should be several financial safeties in place besides Ursinus and UMD, given her distaste for these (very good) schools. One too big, one too small, etc. A few more affordable safeties will provide choices.

Lastly, it is still unclear to me why public schools are off the list…given several check the boxes and are smaller than UMD (some are considerably smaller and have a strong Jewish presence).

We received a piece of wise advice about small colleges. If the school is very small…you have to hope your kid finds her like minded friends within the small group. At a larger school…there are plenty of other students but not so much so at the smaller ones.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I think we are good now.
She is going to counselor today. We have more than enough schools to apply.
Her safety: Ursinus, Miami-Ohio, and UMD. All 3 should be affordable. That should give her some choices (size, location, vibe) and it will be up to her.
Plenty of matches and reaches.(I would say too many.)

8 Likes

We absolute get it. Her ideal school size would be 5k students. But there are too few that satisfy our crazy requirements.

You might want to think about what compromises you can make. You have nine requirements…that’s a lot. I think I would prioritize them from most important to least important. If cost is the significant one…that needs to be at the top.

Our kids were able to satisfy their requirements, but they only had three things on their list.

1 Like