Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Those are good schools, not sure UMD is a safety. Why Ursinus over Goucher?
Most importantly…is your D in agreement about these schools, as well as what you called ‘our crazy requirements’ (beyond budget of course)?

2 Likes

I believe this student has a guaranteed admission to UMD through her DE program.

5 Likes

Thanks, forgot that detail in the nearly 1,000 posts on this thread! :wink:

2 Likes

There was a thread on here last year requesting people to petition the Maryland governor that while there is an automatic admission to UMd after a year of community college, that didn’t apply to courses taken while in high school (DE), only for a year AFTER hs graduation. I think this student has an excellent chance of getting in to UMd, I don’t think it is guaranteed.

Here is that thread: UMD dual enrollment admissions problem

3 Likes

My child got too merit from dickinson applying test optional - anything is possible!

5 Likes

Would you mind sharing your updated list? You have 3 safeties: Ursinus, Miami-Ohio, and UMD. What are your targets?

Do you feel comfortable sharing how much? That might be helpful for this family.

Presidential Scholarship - $35,000. High extracurricular involvement and leadership but struggled with SATs so went test optional.

7 Likes

That’s wonderful! Is your child there now?

A new scholarship for Maryland students applying to Dickinson was mentioned earlier by Zebralover. I didn’t see it until now and it is worth checking out.

Actually Goucher coming up here in there. I may put it on our summer visit list. I know nothing about it, except that it is small and near Baltimore.

6 Likes

There is no time limit. She can take a semester of General Ed in worst case scenario. But I do not think we will end up there.

It is still work in progress we need to visit all schools before finalizing it. But pretty much small schools like Dickinson, Denison (probably will be dropped due to language), Gettysburg, Muhlenberg, Union, Hobart and William Smith. I am still over the fence with Elon and Clark. One is missing money, another language. We also have atronomically big reach list that we do not want to cut yet. DD also needs to do SAT. I told her that unless she will work on good test score reachers will be all out of reach 100%. Even schools that declared TO, may not give money next year since there is less Covid and more opportunities for testing. She wants 5k population school and they are only on reach list. She was quite excited about Miami of Ohio. Apparently in her school it is considered party school for kids that can’t do better…

2 Likes

One thing is clear to me. Goucher is not open about their scholarships compare to Ursinus. That keeps Ursinus up as safety vs. Goucher. However we need to see school to check the vibe. If DD will like it, it may be another match. However given her destate towards schools under 2k, I doubt it.

You keep saying that the ideal is around 5k students, but most of the colleges on your list are 2500 or less, unless they’re reaches. These 3 schools are private, have no religious affiliation, are within your geographic range, are in suburban/urban areas, and are either within budget or very close to it (certainly closer than your match schools). Their Jewish populations are listed below, all of which have higher numbers/percentages of Jewish students than some of the schools on your list.

Rider: 160 of 3763
Roger Williams: 300 of 4523
U. of Hartford: 650 of 4793

Can you please share why none of these are worth additional consideration?

1 Like

You should stop listening to kids in her school.

7 Likes

Just saw DD who visited counselor today. Counselor was impressed with the list…
Counselor recommended to put back Hofstra and St. Mary’s. Apparently St. Mary’s has best acceptance rate in MD to medical schools… Counselor also suggested to look at Carleton (despite of distance), McDaniel and Susquehanna.

4 Likes

Carleton is out - no merit.

4 Likes

McDaniel is a school I recommended earlier. Carleton does not give merit.

I believe she will receive merit from Hofstra and also from Adelphi. The 3 schools noted above are worth serious investigation (Hartford, Rider, Roger Williams).

3 Likes

The counselor can recommend all the schools they want. They don’t know your budget or parameters.

4 Likes