Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Actually we gave her parameters. But yes, she does not know much about merit aid I think (case of Carleton - she said that DD should definitely apply there…)

1 Like

Ugh??? @WayOutWestMom

According to website it is true.

But sample obviously tiny : 4/5 or 5/6.

That’s a very small sample size…

Did you run the NPC for St. Marys?

And suggested Goucher has only 1100 undergrads. Even Ursinus has more undegrads

Does St. Mary’s have committee letters? I think it does. Would that possibly impact the data? I am not suggesting that this student would not receive one.

1 Like

https://www.hillel.org/college-guide/list/record/st--mary-s-college-of-maryland

Not sure this will fulfill your Jewish life criteria…at all.

And that is exactly why I moved it from the list. It is in the middle of nowhere with no Hillel.

1 Like

That is why in my opinion Ursinus is 100% better. It has known medical track with connections, on campus training etc. And they do not weed out student recs to medical school. So their numbers are more real.

4 Likes

I think Ursinus is a good choice, but I wouldn’t rule out Goucher either.

But St. Mary’s…it doesn’t check a lot of your boxes.

2 Likes

And I do think you should at least read about York College of Pennsylvania.

2 Likes

St Mary’s DOES use committee letter to pre-screen professional school applicants.

Also if you read the success stories page, half of the successful med school applicants took gap years (and in one case took 3 gap years plus completed a grade enhancing post bacc/SMP elsewhere) a to improve their competitiveness

5 Likes

It is in state. Tuition is posted. It is what it is. 5k scholarship or no scholarship will not make a difference. We are not eligible for Financial Aid. We did it with older daughter. Got 5k aid in CMU :slight_smile:

The fact that you would consider Carleton means you should open up a whole new list of schools.

Hello U Denver :slight_smile:

Southern Illinios - you need a school that will 100% hit the price - it will - as they have no OOS tuition. None. All are in-state. It’s mid-size and has a med school affiliation…and Jews.

@AustenNut gave some good ones.

Don’t forget, and you’ll see in Common App…pick your 10 or 12 but then just shotgun (for money).

Get on school’s info lists…so they start email blasting you. That’s how you get free apps.

btw - you should set up an email for your daughter…just a generic one…like first name, hs name 2023 @ gmail, etc. And have anything college go to it - so only college things.

1 Like

I agree St. Mary’s is not a good option. It is too small and very little emphasis on premed in school (not enough support like in Ursinus or Miami of Ohio). Plus they have no Hillel, in the middle of nowhere, and have no language that we need. Too many minuses.

1 Like

I did not consider Carleton. I just checked what counselor suggested.

Nope. No Denver, CO or Mississipi, or Alaska, or CA, or Hawaii, or UT.

1 Like

Have you looked at York College of Pa? It looks like it could work.

1 Like

Ha ha - i only said it because you said Carleton - which wouldn’t hit your Jewish quotient either.

But Denver is actually the right school - size wise, Jewish life, and they give $30K.

Only said kiddingly because you opened the door with Carleton.

Glad you hooked in Miami…but do know, it works if you get the max - and it’s not impossible but it is improbable. It’s a fine choice if rural is ok.