Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

Susquehanna is really a hidden gem. @MaineLonghorn would you care to share?

Yes she already created such email and signed up for all colleges on the list (but Miami that was added just yesterday - thanks to everyone! I actually like it as safety very much).

2 Likes

Interestingly on another thread there were a few that chose it over UMD even though it’s relatively unknown

Just checked McDaniel. Absolutely dead Hillel. One post a year on facebook. It is more like, look we have it (but we actually don’t).

What about York College of Pa? Hartford? Rider?

1 Like

Rural is not OK, but given that school is bigger than we want (20K students) it is not rural on my books. She will have enough things to do on campus without leaving it. But we will visit after she will get accepted everywhere to make decision on Miami. It is safety not match so it is low on our ranking.

Can you share that thread? I want to see what is good about it. It is definitely in the middle of nowhere on the map

We live in a rural area. We know a pretty decent number of folks who attend or attended Miami. The students we know didn’t view this as “rural”. They viewed it as a college town. It’s a nice size college town. Like you said
20,000 is a pretty good size! Lots to do there. Students seem to love it. When I grew up in Ohio
it was the strongest of the smaller public universities in Ohio.

If you are looking at Ohio, at least read about Ohio University. There is a DO school on the campus, a strong and well established nursing school, OT, PT and Speech Pathology in a fabulous allied health professions building newly done for them.

And both Miami and Ohio University have fixed costs for students for all four years
which can really help with financial planning. I linked those incentives upstream someplace.

5 Likes

You shouldn’t decide that you are not eligible for financial aid based on your experience with your older daughter at cmu. First off, different schools give different amounts. Some css profile schools include home equity and others do not. Also, in the past, schools gave more financial aid if multiple kids were in college simultaneously. FAFSA schools won’t do that any more but css profile schools might.

If you haven’t already done so, you really really really need to run the net price calculators at the schools you are considering especially any css profile school.

2 Likes

May be true for this school, but remember the kids are not using Facebook.

I can tell from my kids’ colleges they are on insta and other platforms to connect their clubs and orgs.

3 Likes

I know that we will not qualify 100%. Merit aid is the only hope. Any extra help will be magical surprise. I am very realistic.

Agree but it does not appear on Google. Older DD does not use Insta or Face or any other social media but Discord. However I cannot imagine Hillel on Discord

1 Like

Some net price calculators also ask for stats and give you estimated merit awards that could be part of your financial aid package. Well worth a look see.

The NPC are currently set for students starting fall 2022. They will be updated for 2023 in late summer or early fall
.so if you do them now
plan to look again. Financial aid policies DO change.

2 Likes

I know. This thread is over 1000 posts and no NPC. If you have data available they can be calculated pretty quickly.

I would never assume I don’t qualify without confirming. Especially since budget seems to be so important In this thread.

Congrats! That’s impressive!
What score (in your opinion) should be shown to Dickinson and which one be better off hidden?

I can’t find it. I found this one. I’ll keep looking - but there was a couple kids and they chose Susquehanna over UMD.

I don’t know what you’d learn - I think the gist is that UMD is ranked and few will know Susquehanna and it was just getting confidence.

Will keep looking.

Daughter graduating - a wonderful four years! - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Susquehanna University - College Confidential Forums

2 Likes

Hey, that was my thread! :slight_smile: Yes, Susquehanna was a great fit for my daughter. The honors program was excellent. She wasn’t a very strong writer in high school, but she learned a lot at SU. She had excellent mentors and made such good friends that a couple of them have moved to Portland and are collaborating with her on art projects.

Since she got out, I’ve been surprised at the number of people who’ve told me they know the school and think highly of it.

The area is beautiful, too. The Susquehanna River is so gorgeous. I loved running next to it. I was sad that her commencement ceremony was canceled. I feel like I should go back for a short visit for closure!

If you have any questions about the school, let me know. Oh, I should add that they have excellent counseling services, too. She saw a counselor for a couple of years.

5 Likes

Finally found it - the search function isn’t good. There’s a few others
but i think this is one of them i saw.

UMD or Susquehanna - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums

2 Likes

Hofstra does this (as does Bradley). Bradley is a great fit - except it’s in Illinois but I know Hofstra is on your list.

Most NPCs that ask for stats will give merit award estimates.