Smaller school with merit aid for Jewish girl B+/A- premed [really 3.95 unweighted HS GPA]

She will take more advanced Bio, Chem, and Physics anyway since they are required anyway but not above and beyond required for premed. She wants to focus on her major.

Then you are fine, right?

She will get placed into the more advanced classes that she needs for med school based on her good grades in CC, and everything is good. She just won’t necessarily be able to graduate early.

1 Like

I’m glad you understand this will be necessary.

She won’t be graduating early
because these course will take time.

2 Likes

Only if Rhodes will take them. So the question is does it make sense to consider Rhodes if they will not provide a list of accepted credits prior to enrollment? It kind of becomes gambling.

What do you mean by “take them”?

Do you mean give her credit so she will graduate early?

Or do you mean let her use her knowledge to place into more advanced classes, that she needs anyhow for medical school?

I mean give her credit on the transcript.

Why is that important?

Why does she need this? The important thing is that she take the required courses for medical school admissions. The advising folks at Rhodes will be able to advise what courses need to be taken.

I’m not sure they would even suggest repeating courses, because many medical schools view that unfavorably.

1 Like

There are no shortcuts to Med School.

4 Likes

I am not sure you understand. I think it is critical. DD has one full year of college credits. Then she can either graduate early, or take a lighter load, or focus on Psychology. It matter less what she will do with it. It matters more to get credit for her work.

1 Like

OP- your D needs to figure out her endgame.

Getting credit on her transcript for courses she took while she was in HS seems like a VERY tiny part of the decision matrix (in my opinion) given the dozens of other criteria you (and she) keep putting on the table. If it were just cost and distance- that’s manageable. But you’ve got a VERY long list.

But if it’s important- don’t go to Rhodes.

1 Like

I agree. But if Rhodes will not take them, DD will have to repeat them. With case of Chemistry, it would be 3rd time!

I think based on what you have previously posted that it is more critical that your DD fulfill her premed requirements. The one year of college credits is a sunk cost. Look to the future.

if she wants to go to Rhodes and you can afford it, don’t worry about the one year of cc credit. It will mean that she can take more interesting classes right off the bat.

If you need the year of credit for financial reasons, that’s a different matter.
And if you think she needs a lighter load to be successful, then Rhodes may not be the place for her at all.

1 Like

Your D needs to do a deep dive on what is required for a psych major (who is also pre-med) before making a stink about going further in chem and bio. Psych is increasingly an inter-disciplinary study of the brain- that means bio, that means chem, that means all the genetic predispositions that impact human behavior and pathology. That’s what psych is. It’s not becoming a guidance counselor. Advanced classes in bio and chem can ONLY help her as a psych major.

4 Likes

um
 a neuroscience major will take higher level chem and bio because they’re often required for their major.

Neuroscience is a hybrid major that is mostly bio with some psych and cognitive science classes thrown in.

D2 was neuroscience major and she had to take plenty of UL bio classes to fulfill graduation requirements for her neuroscience degree.

1 Like

No! She won’t have to repeat them.

Rhodes will let her place into the higher level chemistry class EVEN IF they don’t put her CC chemistry class on her transcript.

At least, that is how many, many colleges work. Call Rhodes to confirm, but ask it in a way that they understand what you are wanting – placement into higher level classes based on CC credit, even if they don’t “accept” the credit for her transcript.

6 Likes

That is exactly another point for putting CC college credits on the transcript of 4 year college. Entry requirements are met, check, and move on with your life.

Whether or not she gets credit for her CC classes is irrelevant if she get advanced standing. Often colleges that don’t take transfer or APs credits will allow students to “challenge” their placement by taking a placement exam. They basically take the final exam for the class and if they pass (show mastery of the material)they get to move on to the next level.

And frankly if she can’t pass the final for the lower level class, she has no business moving into the more advanced class.

10 Likes

Your D needs to decide what’s important to her. This seems like a good time for the parents to step back. You are significantly overestimating the value of community college once a student matriculates to a four year institution-- but this is your D’s battle, not yours. At some point- something’s gotta give. Either distance, or size of the college, or the complicated community college transcript you seem very committed to maintaining, or easy access to medical related opportunities, and rigor- you want it rigorous enough to get her into med school, but not so rigorous that she doesn’t get a committee letter or gets overshadowed by more competitive classmates.

Something’s gotta give. Fortunately, she can only attend one college, and she’s got some fantastic options which are also within your price range! Ball is in your D’s court!

Unless you want to get blamed every time she has a bad day or gets a C on a midterm-- I think it’s time to step back. You’ve described her as much more mature than her age- so let her maturity work this out.

11 Likes

Actually Phych is very different at many small colleges. At a lot on DD’s list there are zero BIO and Chem classes. The only exception is UMD, Rochester and Case. That is the only reason neuroscience is considered. Otherwise, she would need 5 years to graduate (4 full years of psychology + 1 full year of premed classes.) There is no overlap but Psychology 101 and Statistics.

1 Like