So Conflicted...

<p>Since the beginning of high school, I've always wanted to major, or at the very least, minor in journalism. However, I've realized that I have many other interests as well. I know that ultimately, I want to be a journalist, however, I'm not sure if (see below) path one or path two would be the better way to achieve that goal. </p>

<p>Path One: Complete a major in print journalism, with an emphasis on web publishing and photography. Minor, or do a second major, either in Russian, Environmental Studies, Political Science or Anthropology if time permits. Hold internships in journalism, and branch out to the web. </p>

<p>Path Two: Pursue some combination of majors/minors in Anthropology, Environmental Studies, Political Science, and/or Russian, depending upon how many credits I have available. Take a few relevant courses in journalism. Complete several internships in journalism, and do freelance writing online. </p>

<p>The first path is much more straightforward, while the second one will make me more well rounded and create additional options should I wish to pursue a different career. How much do newspaper/magazine/online news employers look for journalism courses? If there were two job candidates, one who pursued Path One, and the other who pursued Path Two, which do you think they would prefer? </p>

<p>Also, should I pursue the second option, do you think that is a valuable combination of majors/minors for entering journalism? (I'm particularly interested in magazines a la National Geographic or Smithsonian, or working for an environmental publication. I'm also considering investigative reporting). Are there other majors which would prove more useful for the sort of journalism I am interested in? Which of the majors that I mentioned would be looked upon as most relevant?</p>

<p>I wish more people would answer your posts, they’re scary how well they reflect my own questions, down to national geographic!</p>

<p>Why don’t you write to some journalists online - like the ones who write for NG or foreign correspondents for publications like Newsweek, NY Times, etc. - and ask them what the best way to become a journalist would be? They work in the business, so I think they would know more than a college itself would.</p>

<p>p.s. I think your questions are good. My uncle is a lawyer, and people used to ask him why he majored in English in college instead of poli sci or history or some other pre-law thing - and he said that English and Journalism are the best fields for lawyers, because they write the best briefs!</p>