So....who has had a covid vaccine?

Oh great. I just got off the phone with my H. My stepson and his wife recently had a baby, and at the most recent pediatrician check up they were told that if they wanted to have another baby soon, they should hold off on getting the vaccine due to fertility concerns. This is in Iowa. I will be sending them the info you guys posted here. So a huge thank you for this info.

Also, did you guys see the concern about the 23 deaths in Norway? If I have my numbers right, Norway found that 13 elderly frail definitely died from side effects of the Pfizer vaccine and they are looking into another 16. Obviously that doesn’t add up to 23, so I don’t know where the mismatch in info comes from.

Do you mean this?

It appears that frail older people may be at risk from the vaccine side effects, though this is the same population most at risk from COVID-19 itself.

Frail older people may also coincidentally die around the same time as receiving the vaccine.

1 Like

Yes. But I had seen 2 on-line articles from the UK about this that were a bit sensationalized, and a Bloomberg on-line article from today (the 16th) that said that Australia is taking a much closer look at the Pfizer vaccine now because of this. Also, the initial part of that Bloomberg article made it sound like Norway was pretty concerned too; it wasn’t until you got to the bottom of the Bloomberg article that you saw that Norway thinks the good outweighs the bad for the old folks with the exception of the very frail.

You know how it is, sensational headlines generate the clicks.

Thanks for the great advice. I haven’t been able to get an appointment yet but I’ll keep trying on the websites you provided.

We looked closely at the Norway story last night because FIL can call Monday about getting the vax - not sure what date he can actually get it. He’s not frail, but he is 92 with one lung and heart issues. It’s not easy knowing what is the best course of action. I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision.

We definitely decided that H will be with him when he has it just in case the side effects have him under the weather for a day or two.

From my understanding, if he can get an appointment, he should be able to get it starting tomorrow. I think all of VA 65&up starts tomorrow along with 1b. But if you’re under essential worker, you need to go through your employer. That’s my current understanding anyway.

But whether or not he should take it, that’s a tough call. Best wishes to him. It’s good your H can be there.

They also warned for long wait times on the phone, so be prepared for that. I don’t think there’s any website for VA yet

1 Like

My niece is a podiatrist in SF. She just had a baby and plans to have more. Her H is a pathologist. They both got their covid shots and will be getting 2nd as scheduled.

My 91 year old mom >75 year old H and I got our 1st Pfizer doses on Thursday. H and I had achy arms where we received the injection. Mom had NO pain at all. H and I were back to 100% after 36-48 hours and were never very incapacitated.

We are scheduled for 2nd dose in mid Feb. The other md extended family members who have received their covid shots have not complained of any severe side effects and all are going to have their 2nd shots on schedule for max protection.

4 Likes

In NYC, educators were eligible to be vaccinated on last Monday. I went online last Sunday to book an appointment, but ended up getting an appointment friday, 10 min from my house. the minute I got home, I tried to book my second dose and finally got an appointment for mid February. So far, so good, no side effects.

16 Likes

I am 7 days out from my second shot, and feeling so much less Covid anxiety at work (physician) and on errands. It feels good not to be so anxious.

17 Likes

This is what I’m really looking forward to. I get very nervous being within 6 feet of other people or seeing people wearing masks incorrectly these days.

I just got my first shot 3 hours ago. No side effects.

13 Likes

When I had mine, the paperwork said no vaccine in between the two doses or two weeks after. I’m not sure if they are worried about interaction or if they just want to make sure that any reported side effects are from the COVID vaccine and not another vaccine.

My dad and his wife received the first shot yesterday and a friend last week. DH and I are in the end-of-the-line “general population” bucket.

Is vaccine jealousy a thing?

6 Likes

I am quite sure that many people will not advertise in any shape or form that they have received the vaccine because of “vaccine jealousy”. The cross examination of why/how/WHY of people getting a vaccine that is outside of “direct contact, front line worker” will keep many people quiet.

6 Likes

My nephew’s GF works in a resident home and received her first vaccine a couple weeks ago. She’s been getting pestered online by people telling her they feel sorry for her because of what will happen in her future and/or telling her she’s lucky if she isn’t having problems, because they KNOW nurses, etc, who have had the vax and had strokes + other issues. She finally stood up for herself and told them, “I respect your right not to choose it, please respect mine to choose it.”

Med school lad hasn’t had nearly as many people attacking him, though some he knows who are anti-vax have made a sarcastic comment or two.

Neither of us know of any reports of strokes, etc, from it (just the one “maybe” death in FL and I think short term Bell’s Palsy for some (?) he told me).

We both think if there were strokes, etc, in nurses or other health care workers that it would have made the news within health care. The people posting such things say the people who had the effects prefer to be private and don’t seek help. To us, this makes no sense at all, esp among health care workers - though when my nephew’s GF questioned it she got attacked even more. This lead to her making her “to each our own” statement.

Has anyone else been getting backlash or heard of really ill effects from the vax?

Based on many of the comments in the other thread Covid vaccines roll outs in your state or location , it certainly appears to be common.

Not just vaccine jealousy, but also some competitiveness and humblebragging as well. Some of us are taking bets on which names appear on the list. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I am quite surprised that my 81 year old mom in Northern California was able to get her vaccine this afternoon. She found an appointment online with her health care system this morning by randomly logging into her healthcare portal. They did not notify her.

I’m hoping this information will encourage others to keep checking for appointments and not wait to be notified by a healthcare provider. The appointments pop up here in California.

And I agree that there is vaccine jealousy. I’m feeling it a bit right now!

4 Likes

This is just so unnecessary. It is a very stressful time for many people. I think we can be more supportive of each other by sharing some information.

6 Likes

My 88 yr old mother was able to get an appointment for Friday, with her healthcare system. Then she proceeded to tell me that she has a hair appointment, eye appointment, dental appointment, and pedicure, all scheduled in the next week. The hair appointment is at 2:30, after I’ve stressed the importance of early morning appointments. Is it dementia or does she just not care?

2 Likes

Lots of people have already given up on COVID-19 avoidance (social distancing, etc.) even before they can get the vaccine. So no surprise that some want to immediately go back to doing riskier indoor activities immediately after getting the vaccine, even though it is a better idea to wait a bit, and preferably after the second dose. The vaccine gives your immune system a head start on recognizing the viral protein and making antibodies, but if you do not give it enough of a head start, a concurrent or soon-subsequent infection could still grow into a dangerous viral load before your immune system stamps it out.