So....who has had a covid vaccine?

Were the patients asymptomatic the second time time, did they have milder symptoms, or worse symptoms? Or a combination of scenarios?

This is very concerning!

3 Likes

From what I read, my understanding is that the new vaccines should provide longer immunity than natural infections would.

1 Like

There’re also some concerning news about vaccination. The incoming surgeon general suggests that widespread vaccination won’t happen until mid-summer, or even early fall. The news out of UK also raise concern about the effectiveness of the vaccines again the new strain. Some experts think they would. Others not so sure.

1 Like

This helps those who get the vaccine - still doesn’t help those later in line at all if the former can still spread it as it seems.

1 Like

I don’t think it has been established that the fact that someone is a racial/ethnic minority results in a higher cases/death. I think what has been established is that certain factors, which are experienced more often by racial/ethnic minorities, result in higher cases/death. For instance, more blacks and hispanics live in multi-generational households, are essential workers, are poorer (and thus are going into this pandemic with less favorable health situations), etc.

3 Likes

There was a news story on here about a more rural hospital and nursing home. The director said he’d opted for the Moderna vaccine because of the refrigeration issue, and said he took that road even though it wasn’t approved as fast and the second dose is 28 days later. He said they hoped to have all the hospital staff and staff and residents of the facility vaccinated by Jan.

My brother is an EMT in a mountain town/hospital. He thought he was in the first wave but now is second group. I don’t know if they’ve even started the first round (state’s moderna arrives today). He works at the ski hill so interacts with hundreds of people every day, and they are people from many different states.

My bil a surgeon in private practice got his vaccine on Thursday. He is at the hospital 1 day a week. Michigan

My daughter’s boyfriend a medical fellow (clinical) says that he will probably be vaccinated end of January. At the hospital every day Pennsylvania

His sister, a resident in anesthesia was to get her vaccine Monday, yes today . Unfortunately she tested positive for the virus yesterday. New Jersey

My husband saw his rheumatologist last week. He’s trying to get a vaccine but is having trouble getting into the queue since I don’t think he has hospital privileges anymore. Semi- retired Michigan

1 Like

Elementary aged children haven’t been in any covid clinical trials, so they can’t receive the currently approved (EUA) vaccines. Even if a state has that age group in their distribution plan, docs can’t and won’t give it to people outside the EUA age ranges.

Pfizer vaccine is approved for 16 and older, Moderna 18+. Pfizer added 12-15 year olds in their Phase 3 study, but not enough had enrolled in the trial to get EUA for age 12+. Don’t know if they are continuing to enroll in that trial or not. Moderna has said they will start studies in younger than 18 year olds, but nothing yet.

There are around 70-75M under 18 year olds and we are going to need to get them vaccinated to achieve herd immunity, but companies have to do the clinical trials in those ages to get the approval. Some believe it may be difficult to enroll patients in these studies, as it’s an experimental vaccine which prevents a disease that is unlikely to harm under 18 year olds. Vaccinating kids is not imminent.

2 Likes

Funny, Husband just got one 2 days ago and is now stressed out that he doesn’t even have a sore arm. He’d be much happier if he even had a tiny shiver and Is weirdly freaked out that that he got saline. :laughing:

Were the patients asymptomatic the second time time, did they have milder symptoms, or worse symptoms? Or a combination of scenarios?

It is a combination of scenarios. Some were sicker the first time, others were sicker the second. DH has only seen one person who was asymptomatic both times, because asymptomatic people don’t tend to get tested (this guy was tested regularly at work).

@ucbalumnus By prioritizing those with the highest risk of mortality/morbidity, I meant to suggest that after healthcare workers and first responders, we vaccinate in order of age: 80+, 70+, 60+ etc. That’s clearcut and verifiable. It seems that otherwise, the process will get bogged down by lobbyists for various industries claiming they are essential, attempts at verifying preexisting conditions, powerful people cutting the line with false claims etc. I believe the primary goal should be saving lives, and for that, you need speed.

The big healthcare network in our area (owns 20+ hospitals and over 700 out-patient facilities) has vaccinated administrators who have no patient contact, and surgeons who do elective surgery. Yet many who work in the ICU have not been called yet, including my husband. I’m trying to stay focussed on how grateful I am that we have a vaccine and that it is so effective. Patience.

4 Likes

Don’t forget, some of this is about not overloading the hospitals with critical patients. An 80 y.o., eg, may have a greater chance of needing ICU.

Some of the other risk associated characteristics specified in the COVID-19 risk calculator below are also clear cut and verifiable. Would you be opposed to using them in vaccine prioritization?

https://covid19risktools.com:8443/riskcalculator

I just got scheduled for the Pfizer vax tomorrow morning. It’s earlier than I anticipated (healthcare, but in outpatient). I’m equal parts excited and nervous. Will report back after the fact.

5 Likes

Let us not to down the garden path of risks, of what the priority should be, anti vaxxers, etc. That was not what the OP asked.

1 Like

@ucbalumnus I will answer on the Inside Medicine thread. I guess I shouldn’t be on this thread since I have not gotten the vaccine and won’t for at least several months.

So far, a few of the MDs I know have gotten their covid vaccinations. I’m not sure when those who are on medical leave will get theirs.

I sent a message to my internist, asking where/how to sign up in light of my chronic lung conditions. I will see what she replies.

My spouse is > 75, so should get priority for age, plus he has asthma and is taking a statin. My 91 year old mom’s CCRC is estimating vaccinations around March for her and others in the “independent” living portion of the facility.

Our kids are in their 30s so lower on the list, though both have asthma.

I got mine last Thursday. Arm was a little stiff and sore and the next day felt a little achy. We’d had a snowstorm the day before, so hard to tell if it was the vaccine or the shoveling. In either case, I’m happy I got to start the process.

4 Likes

Med school lad tells me one of his favorite doctors got the vaccine and reported he was thrilled just to have a slightly sore arm. With Shingrix he had been out for two days. He expected the same.

I’m thrilled because both Shingrix shots put me out for two days. I expected the same, and might still get it, but there’s hope! Even one day would be better than both.

My son got the vaccine on Friday, but his wife tested positive today. It may have been a waste of a vaccine. He’s got some mild symptoms, but doesn’t know if it is from the virus or the vaccine. His wife was offered the vaccine last week, but declined because she is nursing. The scary part is I think they got the virus from their 3 month old, who is in daycare. Baby had congestion a week ago.

3 Likes

D’s friend’s father who works in hospital admin received his vaccine today. Evidently many hospital employees/health care workers have decided not to take the vaccine, so the hospital is opening up their vaccine supply to employees’ family members, so D’s friend’s mother (healthy 50ish) gets her shot in the next day or two.

The hospital says that they must use their weekly allotment of vaccine, or risk receiving a smaller allocation next week, and so on.

1 Like