So....who has had a covid vaccine?

I’ve wondered that same thing as well. My younger S had decent case of covid. Lost taste/smell for a couple of days, mono like fatigue/nasal congestion for roughly 5 days. No lung issues or fever thank goodness. 5 months later he started the Moderna series. Shot 1, a sore arm for a couple of days. Nothing as severe as some people report (“like being hit by a bat”), but he wasn’t itching to hit the gym either. Shot 2, he had a fever & chills at bedtime, but slept it off and was fine the next day. He is not a complainer about feeling sick though - probably because he’s afraid I’ll start pumping him up with meds and badgering him with hourly questions. :blush:

1 Like

Add me to those wondering the same thing. FIL had no reaction to his vax other than a sore arm, so I’m not sure. He’s 92 with one lung and heart issues. Unless he has natural immunity he’s a poster child for someone who wouldn’t have done well had he caught it.

One never knows who has natural immunity though.

DS and I just got home from first Pfizer jab a few hours ago. It took a little over an hour and a half to get through the line, register, get the jab and leave. Done at a hospital here in Western MA. They were pretty efficient, hand sanitizer everywhere, everyone masked and sort-of respecting distance, they had 3 stations to register people and 6 stations to vaccinate. Reg took about 10 minutes…they ask questions about allergies, insurance, scan in your ID and insurance card (MA is charging insurers $90 per jab…double what the Fed is charging the medicare/medicaid), have you complete a very short form, ask if we had any other vaccines recently, confirm address and DOB. They didn’t ask for our proof of comorbidities that made us eligible. They then send you to a “waiting area” in the center of the room with 12 chairs (most were empty since we were first group of the day). They call you to the vaccine station…nurse asks same questions about ID and allergies or other vaccine reactions, explains possible allergic reactions, other side effects, asks if there are any questions, give you a mountain of paperwork to take, then draws the dose and jabs in the arm of your choice. Second appointment is set up on the spot with the nurse. They send you to a second waiting area with about 25 chairs to wait your 15 to 30 minutes (30 for us). Many people bailed after about 5 to 10 minutes…it’s an honor system to stay the required time. DS feels fine and is just mad that his school marked him “tardy-excused” because he missed the first part of class while he got the vaccine. My arm is throbbing and the headache is creeping in but other than that…okay so far. Signed up for V-Safe that I saw someone here mention before.

2 Likes

My teacher daughter had J&J yesterday afternoon. She had a mild case of Covid in December. She woke up today with a slight temperature and is a little achy.

1 Like

I got my 2nd Pfizer on Wednesday afternoon. Yesterday I had no fever but had a bit of brain fog, general fatigue and some achy joints (with the requisite arm soreness). Today I feel good, with just a bit of residual ache in some of my joints. But certainly pleased to be done with the vaccine regimen. My wife gets her 2nd Pfizer tomorrow.

And I believe it has been mentioned how efficiently they are administering vaccines at the SUNY Binghamton site. I was in-and-out in 25 minutes, including the 15 minute evaluation period. Although it is a 2-hour drive for me, and the Javits Center is 1/2 the distance, I’ve heard of long waits at the Javits Center so I’m pleased to have had the opportunity to get it done in Binghamton.

2 Likes

I haven’t read through the last 4 days of the thread, but they say that wierd redness is normal and nothing to worry about

Re Insurance questions: Local pharmacies were asking for very specific insurance information online. The same was true for earlier Covid tests. We were uncomfortable with sharing Medicare account numbers online, so chose mass-vaccination sites instead.

For the mass-vaccination drive-through events, no insurance questions were asked on the application website OR at the mass vaccination event. They didn’t even ask for an ID. They just looked to see if they had your name on a printed list.

For the second shot, no insurance questions were asked for DH when scheduling, but they DID ask insurance information for me. I just checked “medicare”, but did not have to type in any specific numbers.

Well, my red arm patches spread a bit a couple of days ago, and thinned out, with normal skin showing between the patches, then held. Still no itching or swelling, still sensitive to the touch, like a skin bruise. I did just call my doctor’s office and spoke to a nurse practitioner. She said it sounds like the Covid arm vaccine reaction, even though it started sooner than usual, and to call back if it doesn’t start improving by Monday so I can be seen. I can ice it twice a day (which I’ve kind of been doing) and use cortisone cream. I tried Benadryl one night; didn’t make a difference. And I’ve occasionally taken Advil, since I figured an anti inflammatory can’t hurt.

I understand when you have emergency authorization, they just don’t know all the permutations of side effects. I am still immensely relieved to have gotten both shots; small price to pay for great benefit.

2 Likes

And now FIL has gone back to “normal” wanderings (like the donut shop) after just having had his first Moderna Vax this past Monday. It seems like he feels he’s protected now even though H told him it’s two weeks after the second shot. I’m guessing Covid fatigue.

I told H, “At least it’s on him if he gets it now, not us,” but we both wish he could give it a few more weeks.

I get it. I’m salivating like Pavlov’s dog over the idea of not being fearful anymore soon and dreaming of trips, shopping, visiting folks - even going back to school - without fear shortly, but the light at the end of the tunnel is still mid April (for me), not within a week after I get my first one tomorrow.

And I plan to still wear masks until everyone who wants a shot has had a chance to get one (+ 2 weeks after their second dose). Masks don’t bother me at all considering the benefits to others.

3 Likes

This is also true of drug/vaccine with full FDA approval.

I think you’re around 85-90% protected by 2 weeks post shot-1. So IMHO not worth making a fuss over if somebody wants to go running around immediately post shot-2.

1 Like

Is anyone else having vivid dreams after getting the vaccine? I rarely remember my dreams, but since the vaccine, it’s been every night. H reports the same. One of my friends, who had a bad case of Covid, reported having dreams/nightmares at the time.

FIL is 4 days after his first shot. Within 4 days if we use 24 hours in a day vs just counting days.

I posted a link upthread that indicates that immunity builds after each shot to roughly 50% after the first two weeks and 90+% just before the second shot is due. It looks like that second shot just provides a small boost to reach 94-95% which is why it’s more important to get first shots into all arms than worry about second shots or brands.

1 Like

My 90 year old mother is 6 weeks past her 2nd Pfizer vaccine. About 2 weeks ago she decided it was too much trouble for my aunt and I to get her groceries, so she was going to make one “quick” stop at the store. That one quick stop became going into 3 different store because the first either didn’t have exactly what she wanted, or the produce wasn’t nice enough! Fast forward to this week, and she is cooking up a storm for Passover. Mom is happiest when cooking, and truth be known, her walking around the grocery store is better than her sitting on her sofa all day alone. I think she is finally sleeping a bit better at night, so moving is good for her. She is still wearing a mask, and I think she will continue to do so. My aunt and I have decided not to tell her anymore she can’t go out; she knows what is right, and will do what she wants.

12 Likes

5 days post-J&J vaccine and just got notified that my renewed passport is in the mail, a whopping 12 weeks after mailing it in. These may be small victories but when life (and travels) resume, I’m ready!! Feeling optimistic after a year of feeling anything but. 🥲

6 Likes

Your link actually took me to letters to the editor in response to the article, and the first letter had a helpful table.
“ Beginning 7 days after dose 1 to before dose 2” lists 68% efficacy
“ Beginning 14 days after dose 1 to before dose 2” lists 92% efficacy

I believe the letter writers used FDA data to adjust for excluding the first week (something they pointed out the original article didn’t do).

Based on this data, I’d guess “Day 14” immunity would be some average of 68% and 92%.

I had J & J this morning at a Walmart. The lady specifically asked if “I wanted to give insurance information for my next prescription fill”. No, I don’t and didn’t. Don’t get my scripts there. I have more insurance horror stories than cc has threads and I’m not going there willingly.

Pre-registration was done online. Few questions, very easy. Check-in was also easy and entire process was 20 minutes, including the 15 minute wait time. My clients are from approx. 8 counties and all are reporting a seamless and easy time at the sites.

The card they gave me had my ex-husband’s surname. What…?? We’ve been divorced 28 years…So they weren’t writing the card from my license or my state dept. of health registration. A tad worrisome. Very glad I noticed and got it corrected before I left.

2 Likes

Did you at one time get your prescriptions filled at Walmart when you were married? Some records go way back.

I thought perhaps that was what had happened. I have called to confirm that with the pharmacist. Yes, it was from a script filled at least 28 years ago.

With the amount of womens’ names that change, I do think they should be completing the card based on either driver’s license on state dept. of health registration. Who knows when and/or where we may need that card in the future? Always better to have things tie out and reconcile!!

3 Likes