So....who has had a covid vaccine?

@AdamAllen94 I was asking what your upthread post was about. You provided no context. Please, what are you talking about?

You wrote:

“ That is great news every where. but what about the incident we are hearing from others?”

I’m not the only one who noted they didn’t know what you were talking about.

2 Likes

I agree. He says “but what about the incident we are hearing from others?”

Which “incident”??? Be specific!

Three of us in the family got first shot this afternoon. So far so good. We were told to book a second one after three months. This seems too long to wait. By the way, we are in Canada.

2 Likes

If you have a Pfizer shot the second dose is three weeks later. If you have the Moderna shot the second dose is 4 weeks later.

No, this is not what we were told here ( in Canada). All of my friends who booked shots on the government website were automatically given 2nd appointment almost 4 months from their first shot. I didn’t book 2nd shot because I discovered there is a drive-through vaccine clinic and no need to book 2nd dose immediately. I believe once we have more than enough vaccine supply, the 2nd shot will be allowed to book earlier. Honestly, I don’t want to wait for that long. My concern is the first dose could lose its strength and become useless.

Canada and the U.K. are spreading their shots out so to get one dose in as many people as they can. It’s a different strategy than the US one.

1 Like

And the evidence so far from the UK is that a longer delay between the first and second dose makes the second dose more effective not less. Other vaccinations have booster shots that are given many months or even years later for precisely this reason. You do have reasonable protection 10 days after the first shot and that should help to slow the spread considerably.

3 Likes

Probably the main concern is that immune response from the first dose of two-dose mRNA vaccines is rather variable and nowhere close to the trials’ 94-95% protected after two doses, so those who had only the first dose could still have significant COVID-19 risk. Real world studies have found that first dose protection ranged from 17% to 71%, depending on the study and variant of COVID-19.

So if you have to wait four months instead of four weeks for the second dose, that means you have additional months of having to be COVID-19-paranoid.

2 Likes

Not in Canada. They have stretched the timeline between shots to get first shots to more people.

I’m celebrating! After spending a couple of weeks together and not seeing the problems we saw back in Feb with my long hauler, I finally outright asked him.

Yes, his Moderna shots appear to have helped considerably - he feels so much better! He’s been able to play frisbee without wearing himself out, take a few 2-4 mile long walks, and help carry heavier objects to/from cars without getting tired, winded, or having his chest hurt. None of this was true just three months ago, nor has he done anything different between then and now (exercising, etc). He’s really happy.

I hope it lasts. I wish it could help everyone who has long haul symptoms. His lasted for over a year.

29 Likes

Yes. The strategy which started in the UK has been successful. But I’ve read that there is concern that the variant from India could be a problem for that strategy and there may be a decision to speed up between doses.

@eekland I am so happy to hear this!

1 Like

@Creekland — that’s so awesome! Glad your long-hauler improved and hope it continues! It’s so encouraging that’s he’s better!

1 Like

My brother in the UK (in his 50’s) has had his second dose accelerated because of the Indian Variant. He was called back a few weeks earlier than expected.

4 Likes

Here is an article about vaccination effects on those with long COVID:

3 Likes

Posting here instead of ANOTHER new COVID thread…

A post elsewhere on CC referenced WFH and that some people may not have been able to receive the vaccine yet.

Is there any state/area represented by CC here in the United States where people cannot easily get a vaccine if they want one??? Excluding people who medically cannot receive the vaccine. I’m under the impression that across the country, vaccines are available most everywhere if you show up to a vaccination site.

1 Like

There are places where easy availability of vaccine occurred less than 5-6 weeks ago, so some people who started then are not yet fully vaccinated.

I live in Michigan. It has been easy to get a vaccine near me for weeks, but I don’t know about the rural parts of my state. I suspect it’s more difficult away from the urban/suburban cores. In addition, while there are concerted efforts to get vaccinations to the home bound in certain areas, that is not the case in all areas of the state.

Understood. I was actually in Michigan this weekend and noticed that most protocol was still in place (more than Ohio). I still waited in a long line to get into Trader Joes! And was not at all bothered to do that!

Homebound people are not likely to be the ones we see out and about in retail places or having wfh/child care issues - which I guess is where I saw the comment mentioned elsewhere on CC that some people might not have access to get/start the vaccination process.

1 Like

Rural areas tend to have higher vaccine refusal, so many of them may have reached easy availability earlier (hence the “vaccine tourism” that people were writing about here and elsewhere in April). However, travel logistics may be more of an impediment for some of those in rural areas who want vaccine.