SOAR for parents?

We are wondering how helpful is the program for parents on SOAR dates. We went to the admitted students event in March.

I did not go, my husband went – but he brought home pages of notes about health services, access to various accounts, dorm life, football tickets, and other details. My kid came home with class schedule, student ID, bank account at UWCU, etc.

If the travel is not overly challenging, well worth it to travel with incoming freshman. But if it is two vs. one cross country airfares, perhaps not necessary.

I’d be surprised if most Wisconsin kids don’t have at least one parent attending. It also can show your kid you are interested in his or her future.

@herewelearn Last year, I had a lot of downtime at SOAR while my student was off doing a million things at various locations and events. I was glad I went (and my child was glad I went as well), because we came from cross-country (didn’t have a car) and I had never been in Wisconsin in warm weather and so I did a lot of walking and exploring, but evenings were dull. The most helpful sessions for me were those related to housing and tuition billing and the Wiscard information. It was a good chance for Q&A and also learning from other parents’ inquiries that I hadn’t thought of.

Just wondering if it is helpful. One of us needs to take 2 days off then. B-)

Was worth it. Went even though had gone to UW eons ago and from the area. Think of all of the questions you may have that your child won’t want to be bothered with, or doesn’t know the answers to. Don’t expect your student to think of so many things you want to know. Great for how things work from the parents’ perspective. We visited the Comp Sci building tech center during our down time.