Sold to the girl from Illinois!

<p>I thought I would report back on our visit to UA 1/26-28th. I had contacted Allison Verhine from the Honors department to plan our day and I have to say it could not have been a better day. We took the campus tour at 10 am and then went to the 1130am info session. As stated by M2K, we really didnt need the info session as by then, we pretty much knew the info they were giving out.
After the info meeting we met with a student ambassador who took us to lunch at Lakeside dining. Sara was a wonderful girl to connect with and made D feel at ease. Sara gave D alot of tips on how to be successful at UA. After lunch, we went and saw Ridgecrest South. What can I say besides “beautiful”. A real step up from D1’s freshman dorm. Not a thing bad to say about them.
We then went to a meeting with a professor from the Communication Disorders department which is D’s chosen major. He was fine but the typical “absent minded professor”. He admitted he hardly ever meets with prospective students and seemed so nervous. H and I felt nervous for him! I am not thrilled that the building is on the far edge of campus but with the bus system it will be fine.
Next stop was the highlight of the tour. Dean Sharp was travelling so we met with Dean Halli who is Dean Emeritus of the Honors Program. What a gem! He started the Honors program way back when and continues to help with that and teach English. Dean Halli could not have been more personable and relaxing to talk to. He made D relax when he deemed her major “sexier” than her first major LOL. We all had a laugh at that and just had a wonderful visit from there out. He did give us a heads up on the school calendar. It seems back in the day, he was on the calendar planning committee. Dean Halli said that school will always begin on the Wednesday after August 20th. That gives him a week between the summer program and the start of fall semester to go to the beach!
It was an action packed day but worth it. D had pretty much decided on UA before we even visited but this visit sealed the deal. A trip to the bookstore to buy the family Tshirts was the end to a great day.
We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Harper Lee and I have already booked my stay for BB because I thought the location was great.
We ate at Dreamland bbq, Iguana grill, Wings U and Baumhowers wings; all good
The campus was so beautiful and clean. Loved every moment of our visit. Thanks to everyone who gave advice on hotel, places to eat.
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Spring: that sounds like a lovely visit. So glad that you and your D met with so many fine people. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Sounds like a wonderful visit, the campus really does sell itself but the people make it special!
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Wonderful! Roll Tide.</p>

<p>The campus and people really do sell themselves. Coming down from Illinois during this time of year, the weather in Tuscaloosa also adds to the allure.</p>

<p>Congratulations and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing your story!</p>

<p>And Welcome!!!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Spring162: I believe my daughter was the ambassador that you had lunch with! She really enjoyed meeting your D and family! So glad to hear you had a great visit! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thanks for the trip report. I just arranged with Allison for our March trip. DS is even actually studying more the ACT to get the scholarship that would allow him to go to school someplace warm!</p>

<p>I’m looking forward to checking out the campus as well.</p>

<p>Thanks again.</p>

<p>D1 LOVES Dr. Halli! She and her classmates had the pleasure of spending their time during Alabama in Oxford with him. </p>

<p>I also have also been emailing with Allison about D2’s visit in March; she has different interests than D1 so it should be a new view of UA for me as well :)</p>

<p>Great trip report, spring! One day on campus and a meeting with Dean Sharpe and UA had us as well. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Peachtide, what a wonderful young lady you have! My D was quite nervous wondering if she would be the only student and what would she talk about etc. but your D was so gracious and easy to talk to, we had a great visit. You D was nice enough to only laugh a little at me when I mentioned that I had read here on CC about kids wearing motorcycle helmets to stay safe. My kid thought I was crazy and Sara was kind enough not to say so too! Could you PM any contact info for your D? Katherine would like to send her a quick note of thanks and in our haste we failed to ask her for it on Friday.</p>

<p>Thank you for the kind words! She loves being an ambassador! That is funny about the motorcycle helmet. She probably would have really laughed about it prior to April 27th. Her perspective has really changed since that day. </p>

<p>I PM’ed you her contact info.</p>