Some1 explain U.S university system to me!!

<p>could some1 please explain the U.S university system of credits and majors. I am admitted to College of Engg. as Pre Engg. i want to graduate with a computer science major. What do i have to do once i get there. Wat is all this pre-requisits and stuff? . i know its a dumb ques..but am international and have no idea abt the system.
if some1 could explain this to me in detail would be very helpful!! thx
cheers!</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the pre-engineering/engineering program, BUT I am a pre-nursing student. I imagine that it's the same general idea behind the two.</p>

<p>Ok, so you're admitted to the pre-engineering program. That really, in essence, means nothing. Right now you could be an "undecided" major-- it wouldn't matter much. I think, the two reasons why they have you listed as a "pre-engineering major" (really, it is NOT a major at all) is that it 1) gives the engineering department a warning, so to speak, that you are probably going to apply for the engineering major soon (i'll explain that part later) and 2) allows you have an academic advisor that's knowledgeable about the engineering requirements.</p>

<p>Again, I'll emphasize one thing: as you stand now, as a pre-engineering student, you CANNOT get a degree in engineering. </p>

<p>Before you get the degree in engineering, you have to first complete a few steps.</p>

<p>a) complete engineering prerequisites. I don't know what yours are, but my nursing prerequisites are 7 classes, mainly in science and some in psychology. I have to complete them with a 2.5 GPA, I believe. The engineering department will have their prerequisites posted on their website. </p>

<p>b) once you complete the prerequisites (or most of them, anyway), you can apply to the department of engineering. If they admit you, then you have the engineering major. You can now officially start working towards the degree. For example, for the nursing program, I'll have to complete 4 of the 7 prerequisites before I can apply for admission into the nursing program. My deadline to apply to the nursing program is in March, although different programs have different deadlines. Make sure you know when the engineering deadline is! </p>

<p>c) complete engineering degree requirements and UW-Madison requirements. The engineering courses you'll be taking are more advanced classes. The UW-Madison requirements are more basic classes like reading and writing and humanities. You could actually start working on those classes while you're doing the prerequisites. At the end of it all, you'll need about 124 credits total to get your degree (including the prerequisites, UW-Madison requirements, and engineering requirements). Once those are done, you're graduated with a degree in engineering!</p>

<p>I <em>hope</em> I made some things clearer for you. I'd really study the department's website, though. In my experience, some advisors don't know what they're talking about. so be careful! know what you need to take yourself! Good luck!</p>

<p>ceecee, which year are you starting this Sept?</p>

<p>I really don't know yet. Haha...</p>

<p>This is the situation... In highschool, I was able to take a few courses at a local college. I have 12 credits from that. Then, I have taken/am taking AP and CLEP tests for credit. Hopefully, (if I don't fail my tests next month) I'll have 29-33 credits total. </p>

<p>24 credits is already considered a sophomore. However, since only 12 of my credits were taken at a college, I still could apply as a freshman. I don't know how my AP and CLEP credits will affect my standing, if they will affect my standing. Don't know. I'll have to ask at SOAR,</p>