Son Hurt- Student Health Center Q

<p>My son hurt his toe, it has been quite painful, might have a fracture. Could be dislocated too, not clear to me from the pictures. If he goes to the student health ctr do they have the ability to do an x-ray, or a decent exam for an ortho problem. Or should he go to the hospital ER ?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>My friend’s son had a bike wreck during the Summer I term and went to SHC. They did an X-ray of his arm there. His mom seemed pleased with the care he received there.</p>

<p>The Student Health Center can refer him next door (located in same building) to University Medical Center for an x-ray if it is necessary. </p>

<p>I’m sure they can determine if a fracture is present and provide treatment for an ortho problem. It would also be more cost-effective than the ER at DCH.</p>

<p>awesome, thanks. Just did not want him to waste time sitting around at SHC if they were going to send him to ER after they saw him anyway.</p>

<p>I’d avoid the ER at DCH if possible and try SHC or one of the local Emergi Care Centers. There is one on Skyland Boulevard just past Walmart and one in front of Lowe’s. I believe Dr. Bobo is at the one on Skyland?? It relocated from 15th Street after the tornado hit. He’s been a fixture in Tuscaloosa since I was very young and he worked in the ER. He is very experienced and knowledgeable.</p>

<p>My daughter had to visit the ER during the week of AA last year with a kidney stone. While they were very attentive and she received top notch care, it was very expensive. Our bill (paid for mostly by our insurance carrier) was right at $10,000 for being there a few hours. I’d do it again, if the need arose, but I’d choose another option if it weren’t that urgent. I hope your son feels better soon.:)</p>

<p>My son went to ER last week for stitches…cut his mouth during a pick up basketball game at the rec center (he has braces - again! - so the damage was mostly from his braces. </p>

<p>ER did a fine job, but I suspect that the bill will be substantial as nearly all ER visits are these days. </p>

<p>H had an ER visit last year for a few hours and the bill was over $4k. </p>

<p>If son’s injury had been during the day, I’m sure the the SHC would have been cheaper.</p>

<p>My son received treatment from Dr. Bobo last week (recommendation from friends) and said he was awesome.</p>

<p>Yes, Dr. Bobo is awesome. I’ll just say my sister and I kept him busy when we were children and he was in the ER. :)</p>

<p>Thanks all. I had my son send pics of his toe to me today after exchanging a few texts. It does not look broken, bad jam, maybe. He did not tape it like I told him previously, and not taking advil like I told him to either. So I repeated those instructions, and told him to go to shc if he con’t to have pain for stronger anti inflammatory meds. And gave him the weekend hours. He can decide what he wants to do from here. </p>

<p>I really appreciate the quick advice this morning from everyone so I could respond to his “my toe still hurts, what do you think I should do” text. </p>

<p>I love this forum!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>