Soph/Jr/Sr scholarships

<p>I know Madison doesn't give out many scholarships for freshman. They prefer to award good performance with scholarships for returning students. Realistically, as an engineering student, how tough is it to get scholarships as a returning student? If I attend class and get good grades, will I most likely get something? Or does it require research and joining student clubs? Say all I do is go to class and get good grades...how much (approx.) could I be expected to get?</p>

<p>All advice/answers appreciated.</p>

<p>Any help anyone?</p>

<p>From my knowledge of one student (not a very large sample, I know) there was no money freshman year or any of the years that followed. Her mother said she would never do it again as we have a perfectly good state U in Illinois and it just wasn't worth it. D may have a different story regarding her time at UW, but she was and is a good student.</p>

<p>Everyone is expected to attend class and work hard for good grades. No one should expect to get money for doing their job. Don't expect any money from the university, even if you take a lot of honors classes and have a 4.0. You might get some for your senior honors thesis expenses or some other project. No one is entitled to get money just because they perform well- UW is not like some parents who pay for good grades. You pay to get the knowledge/grades.</p>

<p>Denquist- your D is lucky she got the UW experience- academics may be comparable but the rest is not.</p>

<p>Thank goodness that D will not be getting the UW experience as we cannot afford it. As you can see from my post I was not referring to my D. By severely limiting scholarships to instate students Wisconsin gets only full-pay OOS students and this, IMHO, is one of the causes of the split between the kids from the east coast and north shore and the sconies.</p>

<p>There are many scholarships for upperclass students usually given by the depts. In my dept about 25% got them.</p>