UW-Madison Scholarships

<p>So I got into UW-Madison for Fall 2012 for Elementary Education.</p>

<p>However, I've been looking at scholarships and most for freshman are for the college of letters and science. So I was wondering, should I switch into the CLS now, reap the scholarships, and then switch back to education later?</p>

<p>I plan to double major in psych too.</p>

<p>It might be hard to transfer into education later is you are not admitted as a freshman. Enrollment is very limited and competitive. Not that much aid anywhere really until you are t least a soph.</p>

<p>I’ve noticed there aren’t may scholarships for current freshmen students who are going to be sophmores, are most of the scholarships at the school for juniors and senior students?</p>

<p>You were admitted to the university as a whole, not a specific school, college or major. You are asked about plans for a major to help in assigning your SOAR advisor. You will need to take courses and apply for admission to the School of Education later- it is competitive (limits on the number of ed majors so everyone can get the needed classes). By default most entering students will be in L&S. Most entering students will change their major, if they have one.</p>

<p>Do not count on any scholarship aid from UW as a freshman. Various departments usually give scholarships to upperclassmen. Perhaps the math dept has ONE for the best student in calculus after first semester- even hard core math majors would be unlikely to receive it.</p>

<p>For incoming freshmen in the College of Letters and Science, there were about 30 scholarships awarded. Over 1,500 students applied. Many were small, single year amounts. There is really no ‘reaping’ to be had. Almost all of these 30 scholarships are awarded to Wisconsin residents.</p>

<p>How do you fit into this criteria:</p>

<p>The College of Letters and Science awards scholarships that include merit-based criteria. For incoming first-year students, academic achievement normally means that students rank at the top of their graduating class, have ACT scores of at least 31 and/or SAT scores of at least 2100. Additional criteria for the allocation of scholarships in the College of Letters and Science vary depending on the award. Criteria for selection include:</p>

<p>Academic Merit
Creative Accomplishment
Financial Need
Force of Character
Diversity of Background
Commitment to Community
Leadership</p>

<p>Successful candidates complete applications with these criteria in mind.
Applicants need to show strength in two or more of these areas.</p>

<p>Review the scholarship descriptions and criteria. Relate the information in your application to the criteria of the scholarships for which you are most qualified.</p>

<p>Aside from any (very few) scholarships awarded to students who do well in an introductory class such as chemistry or calculus departments will give money to those in their major, typically the upperclassmen committed to a major by virtue of declaring it after meeting eligbility requirements and taking upper level classes. Sophomores usually won’t stand out yet. Scholarships can be specified by donors- donations from alumni in a major (or others) to a department for example can be for anything a department sees fit or for undergrad scholarships in the major. Nice for those wishing to donate to be able to target their money at such a large institution. You’d also be surprised at where donations make a difference overall to students- such as the libraries. No money to individual students but does help keep quality up and tuition down.</p>