Sophie Davis Fall 2021

Thank you for taking the time to give your assessment

2 Likes

No problem. Good luck to her.

How many people were accepted to this years class, if anyone knows? Also, what are the chances of getting off the waitlist

Hey, quick questionā€¦ I heard from 2/3 persons that, Sophie studentā€™s always match with worse residencies (not competitive for the top ones?? Is that true?

To overall questions about Sophie, 40 students graduated the program in their first class. I think 80 students matriculate freshmen year, but do remember many lose their interest in medicine. 50% match to primary care but Sophie Davis attracts students to want to go into primary care so I donā€™t think that means anything. You can find the match list online to see where they get matched into!

Sophie Davis has lots of pros and cons, itā€™s a great option if you want to be a primary care doctor because thatā€™s the main focus. More more competitive specialties though, itā€™s better to probably go the regular undergrad route (like matching derm, certain surgical, radiology)

2 Likes

Hey so I was an alternate for the Sophie Davis 2021 application cycle, and tbh I feel like they mostly accepted students who were minorities and in-state- which is where their focus is mostly. If youā€™re not a minority and youā€™re out of state, you have a really slim chance, especially since this year it was sat-free. I feel like Sophie really missed out on really good students this year. I donā€™t think a lot of out of state students got in- even any at all. Their admission process so so dreadful too. If you donā€™t mind waiting for so long and youā€™re most likely a minority, then take a chance at this program. And also looking more into the program, itā€™s really not all that (hence the comments above).

fun fact: Sophie Davis is actually not the only combined medical program in the CUNY System! Brooklyn College has a program as well, and its students matriculate into SUNY Downstate College of Medicine (if they maintain a certain GPA and meet a certain MCAT score). Unlike Sophie Davis BS/MD, itā€™s an 8-year BA/MD program, so students are required to have a non-STEM major or minor. The program is also compatible with Macaulay (I read on City Collegeā€™s website that people accepted to both Sophie Davis and Macaulay CCNY can only accept one offer, which is not ideal for people seeking a tuition-free undergraduate education). About 15 students are admitted every year out of nearly 300 applicants, so the acceptance rate is typically 5-7% (which I believe is similar to Sophie Davis). Thereā€™s no additional application fee aside from what you pay for the general CUNY/Macaulay application. So overall, itā€™s a pretty good choice to keep in mind in the future!

What was your stats? Gpa,SAT,ACT?

If you dont mind sharing what were your stats?

What were your stats and extracurriculurs?

Stats?

What was her stats and extracurriculurs?

What are my chances of getting in. I currently have a 3.7 gpa unweighted and 3.85 weighted. I have not taken the sat/act yet but have scored a 1450 consistently on practice tests. I am a junior in highschool and have co-founded a non profit to support breast cancer patients. I volunteer with red cross frequently and am in about 20 different medical related clubs. I have volunteered hundreds of hours at food pantries and homeless shelters and try to give back to my community as much as possible. I have started many toy drives and furniture drives for local struggling families. I have many more extracurriculars but those are the most prominent in my opinion. What do you think my chances are, and what recommendations do you have that you think if I do will increase my chances at acceptance. Thank you all!

She was on the honor roll/high honor roll with distinction throughout high school, she took AP classes in I think Chem, Physics, some math, she also took a college course in marine biology (donā€™t ask me why). She was in the Key club, a Journal club and she volunteered at a hospital throughout HS.I cant remember what her SAT scores were but they were not as high as yours, however her GPA was 4.0. Based on what you told me your stats look good, my advice to you would be to be well rounded, I have at least 3 or 4 friends whose kids got in, and without fail , their kids tend to be pretty well rounded. Itā€™s not just about academics , my daughter is a bit of a shy introvert but sheā€™s an outlier, most of the kids that I know that got in have good social skills and interviewed very well. My recommendation would be to reach out to some of the kids on this board that actually have been in the program , I believe there is a FB group. Iā€™d say 20 diff med related clubs is a little excessive, join a few and look to hold a good position in them.I hope that this helps

Thank you for the advice! i will try to find that fb group!

Omg hi! I was a senior in hs last year and got rejected from sophie, now Im a freshman at Vassar and Iā€™ve been trying to reach sophie admissions to see how AI would go abut applying as a freshman in college. They have not been getting back to me. So, I wanted to ask how you went about applying, what rec letters you put in ( the same from hs, or new ones from college profs?), if you put in completely new essays and everything. I would love to get some insight on how the process went for you

Hi there! Did u ever end up finding out more info. about applying as a transfer? Iā€™m trying to do that this year, but I really canā€™t seem to find anything online. Thanks so much!