Sororities

<p>can anyone tell me about the sororities on campus?
just things like rush, and different activities.
thanks!</p>

<p>Hopefully some people will pop up here and answer your questions directly. </p>

<p>Have you checked out the Greek Life page on the UA website? It's located at: UA's Greek Life page: Greek</a> Life | arizona student unions On the right side of the page you'll see PDF format (full-color with photos) booklets for general info on rush as well as a larger sorority booklet with info and photos on each sorority, rush activities, even costs, etc. </p>

<p>In the meantime, have you checked out the national Greek forums Greek Chat and Greek Life? </p>

<p>GreekChat.com</a> Forums - Powered by vBulletin</p>

<p>GreekFriends</a> :: Index</p>

<p>I believe you'll need to register (free), but then you can search specifically for UA and other info you might want to know. UA also has a page dedicated to Greek life with a PDF format booklet on their rush program.</p>

<p>how much money will they normally cost for a freshmen who is not going to be living in the houses?
also do alot of the girls get turned down by sororities?</p>

<p>Try visiting UA's website. They have great PDF format color brochures with lots on info on their specific sorority chapters as well as detailed financial information. Just go to this link and look at the right side of the page. You can click on the Panhellenic link or other links of interest. I've found a lot of universities have pages devoted to Greek life with very similar features. </p>

<p>A lot of girls do rush at UA. Greek is very big on campus. There are no generalizations as to how many girls get "turned down." It's safe to say that the majority of girls rushing find a sorority house that suits them well. They may or may not get their top choice, but the same is true on any campus. They are some girls who are not chosen for any sorority, but I think that's because they act inappropriately or have poor GPAs, etc. I hope you find this UA site helpful.</p>

<p>Greek</a> Life | arizona student unions</p>

<p>Sororities are different everywhere you go. I know that since my school is such a small school the greek life and activities are not the same as somewhere such as the University of Kentucky. During recruitment we have 3 recruitment parties and our invite only party which we call the "preference party". Formal recruitment is very stressful but a great experience and fun as well. After recruitment there are many other activities that we go to such as philanthropy events for us and other organizations, sisterhood events, hanging out with all sorts of people.... even if they arnt greek....etc. I will say it is not for everyone and it has to be something that you are willing to put your heart and work into.</p>

<p>From my understanding, this fall sorority recruitment was pretty competitive at the Uof A with 1,200 girls rushing and somewhere around 800 receiving bids. (This includes girls who dropped out before bid day as well as those who were not offered a place.) My partner's daughter went through recruitment and even though she had letters of recommendation (some even from UofA alumnae) for nearly all of the houses (admittedly they came in rather late and were probably sent too close to the beginning of recruitment), she was severely cut after the first day. She is a very pretty girl, thin, into high fashion/designers, tanning...all the stereotypical qualities one associates with sororities, although she was not a cheerleader in high school or a beauty pageant contestant/winner, nor did she have a lot of community service experience. Her weighted GPA was 3.5. She went to all of the events and kept a positive attitude, but ended up not receiving any bid. She got the dreaded phone call on pref day saying she did not need to come down. It was pretty disappointing. She is probably not ultimately the sorority "type," but moving in early with all of the other girls who were going through recruitment and winding up with roommates and many floor mates who were all offered bids and joined sororities made it a tough start.</p>

<p>It didn't help later when a survey was sent out asking girls who chose not to join a sorority to discuss why they did not join. She should not have received such a survey - it was fairly insensitive. It turns out later that she had received it in error - the survey was intended for girls who received bids and did not join, but in this instance it added more salt to the wound.</p>

<p>She's doing ok now and ended up being offered a place in the new sorority that was just recolonized and had recruitment later, but overall it was not the best way to start her freshman year. If I were to advise her again, I'd suggest she wait until the spring.</p>

<p>I also recommend GreekChat.com</a> Forums - Powered by vBulletin - very informative.</p>